Sign in to follow this  
andyVR6

just got a 1.8 valver project - need a liitle advice

its an early G reg and has a quite a few problems apart from the previous owner was trying to make it into a skip.

1. the speedo stopped working so he bought some new clocks binned the old ones but then realised it was the cable. the clocks are about 30k out can they be wound forward. (old analogue style not digital)

2. in doing job no. 1 he lost the clip to hold the cable in the cluster. can they be bought on there own. or can one be made (pic would be good if anyones got one out at the minute.

3. when he got bored he sold the alloys so its on steelies. anyone in south yorkshire area got any cheap 4 studs (got some solitude/storm wheels that i could swap but they are 5 stud)

4. he also sold the exhaust from manifold back. again anyone with a very cheap system in the area?

5.should u be able to grab hold of the injector pipes and pull the injector clean out of the engine with no effort at all. whatshould hold them in.

if anyone knows of any corrados in breakers or of one breaking in the area please let me know as theres alsorts missing from inside (cooper bridge in huddersfileld has a one in but i've been to it and theres nothing left of it).

With reference to question number 5, The injectors should seal in quite nicely with a few rubber seals and then be clipped into the inlet manifold with little clip thingys.. they're not very pricey from the stealer and the part number for them is 051 133 556..

I'm assuming they're the same part as the ones from the 9A (2.0 16v) that i've got!

The injectors are held in by one big green O-ring and take quite some effort to remove if the O-ring isn't old and hardened. I'm not sure if the 1.8 ever had the metal retaining clips; mine didn't have any three years ago when I bought it and it still hasn't. I've had no issues.

The O-rings can be bought from GSF or your local dealer.

andyVR6, there was a 1.8 valver in Simpson's Salvage, Stamford Bridge about a month back. I'm not sure if they still have it, but it might be worth giving them a bell.

Cheers,

Tom

it did look a bit of a mission when we went to pick it up. it was literally a skip on wheels. towed it back with the vr on a straight bar did 6 miles and realised that the wheels were all loose. once it was home it got a quick wash aqnd the inside got put back together which made it look alot better.

...2. in doing job no. 1 he lost the clip to hold the cable in the cluster. can they be bought on there own. or can one be made (pic would be good if anyones got one out at the minute.

just find an old passat with the same type of cluster (1988-1991) and rob the bit you need.

there is quite abit left on the one in simpsons last time i saw it, as suggested get some new o-ring injector seals.

5.should u be able to grab hold of the injector pipes and pull the injector clean out of the engine with no effort at all. whatshould hold them in.

1.8's never had the extra clips to hold them in - as said.

They don't need them either, they should be a very snug fit by the main O-ring, often very difficult to pull out, certainly not by the fuel pipes, you'd normally risk damaging the pipes by using them to yank the injectors out.

do simpson salvage let you get yor own stuff or do you have to wait while they get it cos theres plenty of pocket size things i need

andyVR6, they'll let you get your own stuff if the car's in the general yard, but they can be expensive on anything you declare...

Cheers,

Tom