Roger Blassberg

VR6 Fuel pump relay

This is a puzzler to me.

I have been chasing the reasons for a slight hesitation/flat spot when accelerating from closed throttle, eg when changing gear, with the engine warmed up (no problem when cold). I am reasonably confident that the MAF and the coilpack are in good order. There were no problems that I could detect further up the revs range, so I cannot believe that fuel starvation was an issue.

On the advice of "cmoth" on this forum, who has had similar problems, I changed the fuel pump relay on Saturday morning. The result is an instant cure, as it was for him.

But why? I have asked for suggestions elsewhere on here with no real answers. Has anyone a logical reason? Obviously the fuel pump was running before the relay was changed.

I'm pleased with the result, but cannot understand how the cure works.

Best wishes

RB

its certainly a weird one, my car feels much more responsive now although I dont think its any quicker overall. I thought it was just my previous relay dodgy connector but if Roger has noticed the difference too, there must be something in it. I wonder how many of you will now change your 167 relay to see if it changes the characteristics of your cars too??

If the relay had gone high resistance, the pump would run slower (less pressure) but the relay would have been getting very hot.

I've had my relay completely pack up on me the other day. tested it on a 12 volt feed and it worked fine put it back in the car and it was not working. Then tested the feed to the relay in the fuse box which is fine as well. I must say also since it was tested the car has not let me down...yet....New relay should be here in the next few days ordered from VWH. For future info guys the relay is not now available from VW anymore another part bites the dust and discontinued.

This popped up while I was searching to check the relay no. as don't fancy going outside to have a look.

My Corrado has had these kind of symptoms so I'm going to try the relay as I have a spare lying around. I had a similar issue on a mk3 golf 16v I had which the guys at Stealth expertly diagnosed for me.

The problem with that one was there was a hairline fracture in the connection so the problem was intermittent at random but mainly misfiring between 3-4k revs. They soldered it & it went back in and worked another 5 years before I got rid.

My fuel pump has stopped priming, the engine cranks but get no movement from the Rev needle, I have replace the relay twice, each time the car has stared and gone for a blast no problems when going back to the car for round 2 we have the same problem,.

I have checked the two used relays with a volt meter and don't get a reading but with a new one I do.

Ideas any one