Sign in to follow this  
glen

would 8x17 fit my vr6 with no rubbing?

i ve seen some wheels i like which are:

8x17 et 35 5x100 toyo prozes t1s 205 40 17

i have koni and h&r's with 7x17 on now with no probs

The 205 tyre will be nicely streched on that width rim of 8j.

I know 7 fits easily with my current set; however the previous set of wheels of 7j had a different offset and missed the arch by about 1mm. As far as I know 8 will fit with the correct offset - for which you give ET 35 which is fairly standard and very close to my 7j's - therefore you're adding 1/2 inch towards the wheelarch; could be close. An aftermarket spacer could easily sort that out though.

See the Wiki, General here. And also The Tyre Bible to understand more.

The Wiki says a standard 6j wheel should have ET35. Where a 6.5j needs ET33. Therefore you can use the offset calculator to see that "The clearance from stut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 25mm LESS" for an 8j wheel.

NOTE: if you decide to increase the width of your tyres (when those Toyos wear out - ie soon) then you could fit a 225 - however make sure you go for a 35 profile (not 40). (Based on the standard 205/50-15)

** Are you able to TRY the wheel on your car before you buy? **

NB: Im sure people on here use bigger wheels than that. Your only concern at the front is fouling the outside edge of the arches and also the inside face of the arch, whne you turn the wheel.

Whereas Im sure I've seen people with 9j wheels on here. Maybe thats for the rear, as you dont have the turning issue - just be aware you can foul the suspension with the wrong ET. Maybe you need an negative offset (or just S-P-A-C-E-R-S) ???? dunno ??? ......... Im sure the fronts might foul though :(

i've run 2 sets of 8x17 et35s on mine in the past and both were fine. Stuarts nailed it above. you must have a 205/40/17 tyre. I had 215s on mine which were fine, but that was on standard ride height.

205/40/17s will not rub with a sensible drop at all (ET35). they wont look stupidly strectched either, which personal i really dont like.

I had Nick's 215/40/17's on 8j rims, and there was some rubbing on standard ride height. Not enough to worry me though, it was only a tiny bit.

... Im sure the fronts might foul though :(

Nick, can you just confirm if your front arches are rolled out, as the other topic here - CLICK - says that the Bigtartan fella had to roll his out when using 8j wheels - or is that just because they had a low ET (about ET14)?

- being a streched 205 tyre, will it mean it just misses? A 215 will not?

Great news for Glen if thats not the case.

you must have put on weight then XB lol

205s, cant go wrong. Here some on a 40mm drop, looks less as its a 1 in 4 and its parked in first not the handbrake :-(

no, my arches are untouched mate. hate the thought of doing that and having them start to rust! no mods at all, and never had rubbing even 4 up with 205s.

Im down 60mm now on coilies on the 7.5x16s. i dont think youd get away with that on 8s. camber will affect it too if its really close.

honestly though 205/40/17s on 8x17s and youll have no problem, unless you want or have slammed it in the weeds!

8 x 17s do catch actually.....on the rear nearside arch over big bumps and also on the arch of the loaded front wheel when cornering hard.

Mostly dependant on ride height.

8x17's - et32 - 60mm drop - only 'slight' rubbing.

pretty much as Kev says, what I had on my VR rubbed very slightly at the front over big bumps and if I chucked it round the bends a bit too enthusiasticaly. Nothing worth worrying about unless you drive like a loony all the time.

I know this has pretty much been answered but I'm running that set up......

I'm dropped 30mm on Koni/H&R got 8x17 & ET35 with 205/40/17s, not a single bit of rubbing, and no arch mods. They fill out the arches well and the 205s streched looks spot on.