Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Aftermarket HID's

Does it matter what temperature you get??? ie could I go for the higher temps with no issues if I wanted to get a little more blue in there - getting closer to the 10,000K?

Also does this mean I can take out my uprated headlight wiring loom?

IIRC i need H4 bulbs as well??

Works brilliantly and well worth it. Got my kit for £90 delivered, and took around 30 mins to install neatly.

Word of warning though - HID light patterns do not work as well in reflector headlights - you will be far better off if you have projector (a la Angel Eyes) lenses. This is because HID bulbs do not have a 'cap' on the end to stop the light just going out in any old way (normal bulbs have this so they only shine at the reflectors).

Just read all of this thread, and the one on the passat forum.

Andi, do you reckon its not really worth bothering with if you have standard headlamps? I dont have Angel Eyes on mine, and cant really afford them either.

I do have uprated bulbs and the uprated loom from H100VW, and it was a vast improvement, but still not as great as xenon's. Just wondering if its a waste of money seeing as i have standard headlamp units.

(by the way, did you get the cheque in the post yet?)

the temp is just the colour rating, you can select which temp you want when you buy most aftermarket kits.... your uprated headlamp loom would still be needed, although the kit I've bought comes with it's own relay'd loom to make sure the Ballast boxes get full battery voltage...

The H4 bulbs are a little more expensive as they're twin element... think the place I got mine from wanted another £3.50 for 'em! :lol:

Be wary of the colours:

-- higher the temp, the less bright the light

-- anything more than an off-tint of blue will likely pee off the police and pull you over for it, and potential MOT failure

-- having coloured lights makes objects that colour disappear

The point of HIDs is to get better light, surely?

I don't understand why people would want light other than white.

You install uprated looms to make the light whiter and brighter, then put HIDs on to screw up all your work?!

DEL VR6, yes, got your cheque - thank you very much.

And yes, still stand by my statement -- pointless to be installed on reflector headlights. You will not get a proper light pattern and will fail the MOT as well as blinding everyone every night.

I just wondered about the colour!! Didnt realise that they lost brightness - was only thinking of the next one up from the 6000 to be honest.

I have In-Pros so no issues with a HID kit there. But why would putting on HIDs ruin the work of the uprated loom?? But I would definatly still need the uprated loom then if I looked at this kit for instance???

clicky

You want the uprated loom for any type of headlights - otherwise you're not getting enough voltage to the bulbs.

But if you go for silly high colour-temp HIDs then you lose brightness you gained by putting in an uprated loom for the sake of having more blue in the light.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

Bearing in mind that normal tungsten light is around 3500K - 4600K will be more than white enough and bright enough to burn the retinas out of any rabbit that's stupid enough to get in your way :)

I would tend to agree with Andi re: using HID's on reflector type headlights, never seen them fitted in such a headlight before - BUT - always willing to be proved totally wrong

Yeah, HIDs really don't look like they're suited to running in normal reflector type headlights and will probably be awful in them...

ive got an HID kit in my 993........they look as bright as most if not all factory fitted xenons ive seen/used(range rovers mainly)........so i'd reckon that you don't really need to have the projector type lights..........btw I went for the 6000k versions

if you get one of the good HID conversion kits for H4 bulbs from Ebay, they come with a cap on the bulb tip to make them work better with normal reflector style headlamps.... I've not used or bought any yet, so I can't swear to that, but I may well treat H-YYU to a set if I really like the kit that I'll be fitting to the 'rat shortly.... 8)