Sign in to follow this  
MarkGolf

VR6 Short manifolds

Just wondered, I came across a few of these manifolds on ebay, I know they are normally used when doing a turbo conversion but can you use them with an N/A and S/C VR?

94_1.JPG

cb_1.JPG

4d_1.JPG

3e_1.JPG

5f_1.JPG

I personally can't see why they can't be used but then Im no genius...

I'm quite up for trying one out if no one really knows!

I want to buy a schimmel but with a retrim and apartment coming, cna't afford one!

im gona try and do my own mani,

should look like the last 1...

i want a schimmel too...

but not willing to pay that much..

and yea they can be used, but not sure on the ISV yet..

Short manifolds are usually only used with forced induction. You need a nice long manifold to produce good torque, so without the s/c or t/c you might find a short manifold leaves you somewhat wanting more, unless you drive everywhere at 5500 rpm ..

I've run mine n/a with a schimmel and it's fine. Everyone says it kills the torque but properly designed ones don't. With the throttle being so close to the head, response is instant.

Bear in mind a VR6 no longer sounds like a VR6 with a short runner because you've taken away the induction impulses that make the familiar VR warble sound. Short runners sound dull...... but they have a massive flow advantage.

Well, I guess everyone *assumes* it kills the torque, because we're taught that you need nice long runners to generate good low rev torque .. but I doubt many people have actually tried it ..

The schimmel gives a very linear torque curve. It doesn't swell up and come down again like stock and Schrick mannies do, just a nice flat line all the way up.

Hard to say what it sounds like tbh, it's very non-descript. Just kind of rumbles along with a bassy, authoritive thrum....

i think the length of the runner must reduce low end torque somewhat.

anybody know the optimum length for VR runners? must be a science wizz somewhere.

a general rule is try to make the plenum at least the same capacity as the engine.

It's more about the ratio of length of runner to it's diameter. Look at the VSR/VGI. That works by creating two narrower inlets for each bank of cylinders and using a standing wave, a resonance in the air to boost mid-range torque.

Umm, quite sad but Im actually a bit put off at the thought of loosing the VR noise, especially since I haven't even run the Golf with the VR lump as yet...

That aside, im quite tempted to go for this until my house/porsche purchase has settled down (then schimmel)

67_1.JPG

52_1.JPG

Seems to be the best of the bunch on ebay..

May even make one like this out of a normal Golf 2.8 mani..

5f_1.JPG

Just not to sure....

Would like to see figures on the dyno of the differences between a short intake against a normal corrrado intake..

Thanks

Advice and info still appreciated...

(Recommendations on TB wud be good too)