Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

RAD FAN staying on

The other day I notice the fan going constantly even though engine temp was fine,well below 90 degrees. No lights in dash flashing car running fine etc.So disconnected it,so not to flatten battery. If I reconnect it,it still goes even though the car hasnt been driven for two days and keys arnt in ignition.

Checked all the switches yellow,blue,black.

ie, I disconnected them one at a time and fan still goes.

Any others I can check? Or is there anything else I can check?

Cheers Fraser

So you disconnected the head switch but what about the rad switch? If you did that as well, you will have a faulty fan control unit, that rectangular box under the expansion tank.

I disconnected the blue,yellow and the black-all one at a time then reconnected teach one before moving on to the next one.

So you disconnected the head switch but what about the rad switch?

It's right at the bottom of the rad on the right hand side, just above the bottom hose.

Cheers mate-already went out and check it by the time you had post. You were correct anyway that was the culporate.

Now when I remove the switch will all the coolant pour out aswell?

And does anyone have a rough idea how much they cost?

Cheers Fraser

Oh yes, pretty much all of it will, so I'd get some antifreeze while you're at it.

Not sure on price, maybe check GSF or stealer if you are in a hurry but they may have to order in.

Do it first thing in the morning when the car is very cold, if you do it quickly enough you might not loose much coolant.

You may need to get the battery out of the way to get a socket onto the sensor. This will reset the ECU and it might run roughly for a while unless you can do basic settings.

Use G12+ antifreeze from VAG. It's a flourescent pink colour and mixes with just about anything that will be in your system. But, given the time of year and the fact that you live in the frozen North, you might take the opportunity to drain the system, reverse flush it and refill with completely new coolant/antifreeze. Two bottles of G12+, about £12 in total.

Best wishes

RB