Sign in to follow this  
Big_edd

Insurance - Tell them everything or not

say i had a g60 with uprated charger, superchip, pulley etc is it much better keeping quiet about these mods when insuring car cos they won't drastically change the apperance. As i have few no claims will it up the quote a lot if i tell them about mods

P.s i got quoted 800 quid tpft for 23 year old with elephant.co.uk

Cheers

on one hand they'll probably never know.

on the other hand, if you have a big claim and they find out you didn't disclose *everything* they can refuse coverage and you could be f*****.

depends how big your balls (brain?) are really.

edit: bah! in good taste i'll edit myself for a change and save you the effor VR. why doesn't the filter take out 'fricked' how about 'fricks'??? :lol:

VR Edit: You swore in your edit!!! :lol: You crack me up! :lol:

edit: bah! in good taste i'll edit myself for a change and save you the effor VR. why doesn't the filter take out 'f*****' and '******'??? :lol:

ROFL, you editted ya post, but not ya comment afterwards :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thera

if i'm third party they will only find out if i have a huge crash, which i'm not planning on having.

Do you think a standard vr6 will be same to insure as modded g60

they will only find out if i have a huge crash, which i'm not planning on having.

haha cheers to that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

so then you fall into the bigger balls than brains catagory! i'm not saying which one i fall into!!!

Hard to tell really, the insurance company may think that with you modding your engine ect that your a boy racer and you race everywhere u go, where as if u buy a vr and leave it standard they might not have the same opinon if it was standard, but they are a higher insurance group, best way to find out is phone the insurance company tell em what mods your thinking of doing then see how much of a rise you will get then try for vr insurance, its the only way of really knowing.

if i'm third party they will only find out if i have a huge crash, which i'm not planning on having.

Do you think a standard vr6 will be same to insure as modded g60

why bother with insurance at all if your not going to crash ;)

Thera

Declare it all. Any excuse to let them invalidate your policy and they will do it. Its not worth the risk of getting caught.

I went to bikes (currently cbr6) cos i can afford the car but can't justify paying thousands in insurance. Now the winter is setting in a want a fastish car. I'm not intending on crashing is a figure of speech, not telling them you have a bigger supercharger is hardly a hanging offence is it!

Right behind you on this one jim.

Imagine the scenario. Someone rearends you in a traffic jam. All of a sudden you end up in the back of the car in front. Its not your fault (and you really didn't plan it), but you just wrote off the car in front, and hes claiming personal injury, against you.

You see where I'm going.... And its really not that unlikely either.

I'm curious, hows the law stand on that one. If its insured, but not all mods are claimed, is that illegal, cuz technically it is insured, as only after the crash is it invalidated (pandoras box?)

if they find out anything is out of place, they will invalidate the insurance for the entire duration of the policy, back to the first day you opened it. will they refund your money? no.

i've heard of someone being denied for not claiming EXHAUST mods, so surely a supercharger would do it.

on the other hand, i've never declared shit all to the insurance company regarding mods, they've never asked. however, if they say "what modifications have been done to the car" or anything like that, then you have to tell them or you're just asking for trouble.

edd - at the end of the day, its your call. I personally would be declaring anything I have had done, as I value my right to drive on the roads. As I say, insurance companies these days are out to screw us in every way possible.. and when they send out accident investigators, they won't be sending out people who don't recognise the difference between the clutch and brake pedals.. these are smart people who know the ins and outs of cars, because people are pulling these scams all the time.

As I say, you can obviously do what you want - but you will regret it if you have a big smash, and they send a guy out to check over your car. The insurance company are agreeing to insure the car for a certain set of equipment.. if you change the equipment (uprate supercharger) they are no longer insuring a 160'ish BHP standard G60, hence the policy is void.

If its such an issue, why not just buy a standard G60? Plenty quick, and then you don't have to worry about declaring anything.

hehe, because 99% of standard G60 owners can't help but modify them jim!!

he'd be better off with a standard VR.

cheers for the serious answer jim, i was just wondering how much extra insurance on modified cars over standard is. This was just for info as a nice modified g60 might turn up for a little more than standard one. I know which one i would rather have. Probably just stick to standard as 160 brake is enough for me at the moment having a crotch rocket as well

Yeah.. I can understand that mate. I didn't wanna come across as being a miser, but its just not worth it. Insurance companies love to crap on their customers!! :(

just like pigs and politicians.. they're all crooks in my books!!

seriously tho.. if you go with a G60, good luck keeping it stock! you'll get the itch just like the rest of us. a pulley and chip alone give so much more power....

not a clever idea but, when they ask if it has any mods you say "I dont know" then they are forced to send someone out if they want to check. but make sure you make it clean "YOU DONT KNOW" but you are lying so that would be unlawful in the first place.

good point nigel.. then when the inspector arrives just make sure everything 'looks' as stock as possible. they can't see porting, upgraded chargers, bigger injectors, computer chip.. doubt they'd know if they saw a smaller pulley.

Declare it all. Any excuse to let them invalidate your policy and they will do it. Its not worth the risk of getting caught.

Its worth noting that legally driving a car without mods declared invalidates your insurance full stop therefore you are technically driving with no insurance.... which is illegal ...on your head be it but bear in mind if you hit / kill someone and the insurance finds out about your mods you will feel very stupid..... insurance isnt only to protect you its to protect others too.......

Scott

what do insurance companies consider being a mod??

Simple : ring them up and ask.....

But in general its known as anything other than 'standard'.... that means induction kits, exhaust other than standard, Wheels other than standard as so on.... even changing the side repeaters is a mod!!! :cry:

Scott.

I asked about adding alloy wheels onto my policy once, and they managed to quote about another 25% onto my premium. And that was when I was paying top whack for my Corrado.. about £1,500 a year.

That was Direct Line though. They don't exactly like modified cars!

does anyone know of a insurance company that does not hate modded cars and actually gives a discount for lower annual mileage cos insurance really stings me when i'm only in country 6 mths of year... If they exist that is

first off... when they ask your milage to work, say you don't drive the car to work so its 0. that will help. or if that bugs you say its only 1 mile or something like that. that helps a lot with the rate, around here anyway. but our insurance rates are pure theivery. they charge me more for my beater every month than i PAID TO BUY THE CAR. :x :x :x :mad: