Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

what is this?? ABS??

My C doesn't have ABS/EDL, I thought -

I noticed that there is a sqaure unit on the n/s of the engine bay, attached to the bulkhead, it has brake pipes going to it and a steel barrel shaped section on its side.

What is this? It looks like ABS, but my car doesn't have the ABS light on the left side of the dash switches (it has the 'unleaded' blanking plate instead)

Any idea's? Was EDL available without ABS?

It has the usual brake fluid reservoir with vacuum servo.

cheers for any help,

Sounds like the abs unit alright, could be possible the abs was faulty and a previous owner removed the light and put in a blanking plate to try and hide it. :shock:

I take it the square unit thing has an electrical plug going into the side and one into the front as well, if so its definately an abs unit.

Shit.

The blanking plate from the hole next to the light switch is missing too, maybe that one was moved into the ABS position.

Fuck fuck fuck oh dear :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe this explains the droning noise when heav braking in my other thread

:oops:

Maybe not related, in my experience when the abs is knackered they just act like normal brakes. :?

Unless it has been caused by a water ingress on the passenger side knackering and shorting out the ecu causing all sorts of scary moments, but thats another story... :mad:

Just been out to the car and removed the blanking plate, and guess what, there sits an ABS wiring plug :mad:

I don't know how I missed that one :x

According to the book, it will act as a normal braking system, but should be taken to VAG imediately (well they would say that wouldn' they)

Any one got as spare ABS lamp that I can have? Don't fancy paying VAG for a warning lamp thats gonna light up staight way :cry:

Will check the ABS fuses tomorrow...

Its not end of world - ABS problems on VW in 90% of cases are usually down to bad wiring / sensors so chill :lol:

Check breakers for warning lamp then plug in VAGCOM and locate fault codes although I imagine you could do this without warning lamp anyway!!!

Scott

Its not end of world - ABS problems on VW in 90% of cases are usually down to bad wiring / sensors so chill :lol:

Check breakers for warning lamp then plug in VAGCOM and locate fault codes although I imagine you could do this without warning lamp anyway!!!

Scott

Thanks, I expected it to be a pump failure or something. Do speciaists have VAGCOM, or just the VAG dealers? Will check the breakers at the weekend...

Various people have it mate..... including my goodself and seeing as you are in Manchester and I live just outside Salford I could easily help you out....

Just check you have diags socket under gear shift cover

Scott.

Cheers, that would be brilliant if you don't mind?

I'll check for the socket tomorrow, so it should be under the plate that holds the gear gaiter?

I live in Stretford by the way, not far from you mate!

What Corrado do you have mate and what year - I should be able to tell you what socket you have then....

Sure no probs - would have to be some time in evening during week or on a Sat....

Cheers

Scott

Then soz mate no can do - had major probs trying to read Steve's G60 with my vagcom for some reason.... I do know a local garage who will plug in your G60 though and tell you what prob is.....

Scott

lol sorry, I really need to update my sig!

It's an August '92 G60..... cheers pal

Is that a '92 Golf G60, or Corrado G60? :roll:

Your avatar shows a golf which reminded me about my mate's Golf G60 with a similar sounding box... I'll ask him if what it is... :)

Cheers Scott, which garage? Coopers?

Sorry, I meant my Corrado G60, the sig pic is my mk2 8v thats up for sale.

Not had much luck looking fo an ABS light at the breakers. Thought I'd amuse myself and ring the dealers, £84+VAT !!!!!

:shock: :lol:

Andy T, Start your car without the handbrake on and see ifthe handbrake light comes on/stay on as/after you turn the key.

I've got ABS and the ABS light goes out just after the handbrake light goes off regardless of the handbrake position.

Brilliant ! that was quite Bizarre.

I've asked the seller for more details, hopefully it will fit my Aug '92 G60.

Wiring behind dash looks stock & tidy, loom connector is in place.

G60Jet, I'm sure it does, but i'll check it later.

cheers 8)

Cool, I won the ABS light on ebay.

26 quid, just saved my self £73...!

G60 jet, i checked, the handbrake light goes out once the car is started.

cheers,