Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Bonnets

as above, what is the difference between the early and later bonnets?

does the early one have a recess and late have a bulge?

Yup, pre-facelift Corrados have a slight recess in the middle of the bonnet.

Post-facelfit have a bulge, this was added to make room for the larger VR6 engine.

I believe the facelift models have slightly different wings as well.

And a three slat grille of course.

Think the facelift occured in late '91, don't quote me on that.

Hi,

Im not sure if im right (i never really am!) but i think it is just the VR's that got the bonnets with the bulges as my car is a face lift G60 but has no bonnet bulge.

It makes sense as the VR6 motor sits a bit higher up in the engine bay.

Hi,

Im not sure if im right (i never really am!) but i think it is just the VR's that got the bonnets with the bulges as my car is a face lift G60 but has no bonnet bulge.

It makes sense as the VR6 motor sits a bit higher up in the engine bay.

From the pic in your avatar it looks like you just have the facelift grill.

early bonnet looks a bit like this ---___---

late bonnet looks a bit like this __-----__

and i think you will find the bulge was added for saftey reasons so the the space between the engine and bonnet remained enough that when hitting ppl the bonnet was "soft" rather that hitting straight into the engine if you know what i mean.

if you look at the parts CD you will see that later models had different front and back bumper, wings, doors, all front lights, grill etc.

I dont know what the difference is in the door but i noticed that there is two lots of part numbers for different chassie numbers.

Cheers guys, the reason I asked was that on my H plate 1991 car, its fitted with a bulge bonnet..

different doors jet? thats a new one by me.. what's different?

just like the "what's faster, G60 or VR6" debate.. the two hoods are another age-old bickering point between G60 and VR6 owners... i believe ALL G60's had the recess and ALL VR6's had the bulge. reason being, VR6s need the extra room for the taller engine and the G60's all retained the proper corrado lines the way they were meant to be with the recessed hood as they don't need extra engine clearance (okay now VR6 guys make a rude comment about me.. alright ready to continue). the 16v and 8v varieties got whatever they had sitting around the factory i imagine!! :lol:

i believe ALL G60's had the recess and ALL VR6's had the bulge. reason being, VR6s need the extra room for the taller engine and the G60's all retained the proper corrado lines the way they were meant to be with the recessed hood as they don't need extra engine clearance

Wrong... It all depended on when they were built.

You're right that the reason for the change was the VR6 engine needing extra height under the lid. All 1.8 16V 'rados should have the recessed bonnet, all 2.0L(both 8V and 16V) and VR6 'rados should have the bulged bonnet, G60s got a mix depending on build date.

My G60 is one of the last run of G60s and I've got the later headlamps, grill, bumpers, indicators, foglamps and the bulged bonnet. (although I actually prefer the earlier recessed bonnet... :roll: :( )

VW stopped making the recessed bonnet when they released the VR6 'rado as it made economic sense to only make one part for all models rather than having to have the tooling for both recessed and bulged bonnet up and running at the same time... 8)

Oh, and there was a change on the door handles too. The later ones have a lip around the key barrel... No idea why, they just do... :? :lol:

I second that Henny, mine just missed out on the changes.

But as I belive the front end of mine was set up ready for the changes as the later spec three bar grill should not find the early C's without some mods to the pins that hold it in place as they are in different places, but the front end of mine has all the holes for both old and new grills.

But as I belive the front end of mine was set up ready for the changes as the later spec three bar grill should not find the early C's without some mods to the pins that hold it in place as they are in different places, but the front end of mine has all the holes for both old and new grills.

That doesn't suprise me at all... I used to work on Beetles (the original ones, not these new re-bodied golfs! :lol: ) and you'd find that hardly any of them left the factory the same as an update approached... Whenever they ran low on bits near to an update, the left them off, used something similar, or used a new bit instead! :shock: :lol: There were plenty of bits that were one year only bits, even complete doors changed from year to year sometimes! :roll:

Jimbob1970

Sorry to tell you that your car has almost certainly had it's bonnet replaced at some point... :( VW didn't start making the bulged bonnets that early, and I'm pretty certain that no 1.8 16V left the factory with a bulge bonnet...

man this is gettin vindictive.....dont argue about what year what was made, if you want later bonnets etc just go and get one! :D

Well just to prove that it takes all sorts, I prefer the later bonnet myself. :)

The early one looks too much like a Jetta bonnet... ;)

Cheers for the replies guys, I did abit of checking lastnite and found that the car was in germany til 1996, then registered in the UK by the 2nd owner who was in the RAF..

would it mean I have a german spec car :?

Well if any one wants to swap there late bulge bonnet for a early one i'm up for it..

Andy .

Well if any one wants to swap there late bulge bonnet for a early one i'm up for it..

Andy .

What colour? I quite fancy putting an earlier bonnet on my G60, and seeing as I've got to take it off anyway to get the engine out, seems as good a time as any! :roll: :lol:

if you two have the proper fenders to go with each bonnet, then you'll need to swap those too. when i got my G60 there was a late hood on it with early fenders and there was a slight gap (but annoying to the purist) in the middle between the hood and fender. i planned on getting late fenders... then realized i'd rather have the early hood!

Andy .

What colour? I quite fancy putting an earlier bonnet on my G60, and seeing as I've got to take it off anyway to get the engine out, seems as good a time as any! :roll: :lol:

Okay mate well my cars green and i can see that your cars blue ..

but i'm still up for it..

Andy.

****MOD EDIT****.....removed your previous post as it was near identical to this one-vr6storm :wink:

Sorry Andy,

I know that my bonnet needs a bit of a touch up on a couple of small stone chips, but with the engine work I'm doing, I can't justify having the whole bonnet re-sprayed just to put on an earlier one...

Thanks for the offer though... 8)

erm...does mine have the newer bulged bonnet or earlier one??

it was first registered on August 1991.

Its on a J-plate too...pics can be found in gallery.