Sign in to follow this  
kalv

My own cold air feed

After reading on here about removing the carbon can and sending a pipe into the wheel arch area I decided to have a go myself and put a cold air feed from the lower bumper.

I cut away a small piece of plastic grill (next to the tow bar) and fed a peice of pipe into the hole left behind and fastened it with some zip clips.

I then fed this pipe up into the engine and again fastened with another zip clip from a hole by the head lamp. The other end was then pointed towards the air filter behind the heat shield.

Can't really see the front end piece in the grill unless you get on all fours...Not yet had a chance to see if it makes a difference as the weather is pants..

That's correct.... needed something on the front of the car that would push cold air towards the filter.. don't know how much is getting to it to make a difference, but every little bit helps!

I'm trying little tweeks for the moment.. need to beat my mates E36 328i (he beat me in a stright run down a bypass - I blame my slow auto box!).. may the mods continue!

but he wont suck it up as its just a tube thats not connected too the filter

That depends how quick he's going at the time ;)

unless you're going at about 400mph i doubt it would make any difference at all, there's no pressure difference unless you connect it to the throttle body, so why would air go into the tube?

I did a similar mod to my old Audi Coupe V6

I sealed the air box an had a forced feed from a pick up out of the spoiler.

One of many mods to get some more out of the old lump - the 2.6 V6 engine is almost untunable (ECU wise).

Ram air effect is the official term I think

I've relocated my carbon can (installed it in the wheelie bin), and now I'm finding that the car won't start without a prod on the throttle.

When I took the cannister out, I pushed one of the tubes that was connected into the other one. Should I have blocked them off, or what?

Thanks

Chris