Sign in to follow this  
kalv

Tyre width on 17" alloys

I have a set of 17" audi TT alloys on me VR and have the more friendly 205/40/17 proxie's on them.

I've managed to find a cheap set as a spare but they have 225/45/17 michelin's... my VR has only been lowered 30mm (standard shocks).. anyone see any problems with them going on (use them through winter)?

I'm not bothered about not having full lock on the front.. just if they might rub on the back..?

I have a feeling that you will get rubbing on hard bumps with that width tbh... you might get away with it considering your drop but I don't think I'd chance it :?

I normally wouldn't, but the spare set only cost me £140 (yes thats right - 4 genuine Audi TT alloys [no marks] and michelins [2/3mm tread]).. so at that price might just be worth the chance and drive extra careful...?

I'll swap them over tonight and give it a test.

225/45-17s are completely unsuitable and in fact if you do drive with them on, you will invalidate your insurance.

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 0.0%

225/45-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.5in 808 6.5%

Tyre size effects insurance...? First time I've ever heard that? I'll try it and see what it's like? I can always just swap the tyres over? Thanks.

Tyre size effects insurance...? First time I've ever heard that?

Of course it does!!! You crash into wall. Insurance assessor sees you have 225/45-17 tyres on it. Insurance void.

If you do declare you have these tyres on, then what he \/ says!!

It affects you gearing, slows you down, ruins the handling etc etc.

I tried the wide 225/45/17 and they went on ok (completely filled the arches - looked nice).. but rubbed when going over bumps/pot holes etc. There was some catching on full lock aswell... I know you told me so.. but I had to try!

Bought a new set of 205/40/17 and all is sweet again - selling the 225/45/17 on the bay - recoup some costs.