Sign in to follow this  
herisites

My go at detailing :D

Hi all, well i thought that i had better post a thread about my little detailing session yesterday afternoon as i was quite impressed with the outcome.

Before now i used to wash my car with a hose and sponge using a shampoo of some sort and drying with a chamois and i HATED chamoising because it always dried smurky and looked crap basically :mad: so i would always have to polish it after which i never had a lot of time to do so rushed it therefore not getting a very good finish.

Well not anymore because i have been gradually building up my products and reading endless amounts of detailing threads etc and getting some advice off the very helpful Neil (Riley) from Volksdevil.com (little plug there :wink:) and my kit now consists of the following:

- Lambs wool washing mit

- Volksdevil own microfibre drying cloth (superb!)

- Volksdevil own microfibre glass cloth (also superb!)

- Volksdevil own microfibre polishing cloth (do i need to say anything)

- AG Car Shampoo

- AG Wheel Cleaner

- AG Vinyl and Rubber Care

- Some sort of tyre foam in a can :lol:

- Everyday window cleaner taken from mum :lol:

- Megs Step 1 Paint Cleaner

- Megs Step 2 Polish

- Megs Step 3 Carnuba Wax

Yesterday was a lovely day and when i finally got up :lol: i rang the girlfriend and to my surprise she had plans and i had the day free :D so naturally i thought i would try out my new cloths and products etc and spend a few hours detailing the beast!

STEP 1

I rinsed the car off first and then washed the wheels just using AG shampoo, AG wheel cleaner and the foam on the tyres. Then washed the whole car with AG shampoo going over it a few times changing the water in between times. Then i dried the car off using my new microfibre drying cloth and at this point i was amazed how good it was, it soaks up every drop of water and you can buff the paintwork to a completely streak free finish. I took some pics at this point to show how good it looked already!

STEP 2

After being amazed with the drying cloth i wanted to use it again so i applied Megs Step 1 Paint Cleaner to the whole car and buffed off with my new microfibre polishing cloth which again is awesome quality. Then washed the car again and dried it with the drying cloth which again i loved the results :D

STEP 3

Once the car was completely dry i applied my Megs Step 2 Deep Shine Polish to the whole car (applying it a panel at a time and not in direct sunlight :wink:) and then buffed off again using the microfibre polishing cloth. The car came up amazing after the polish with a lovely deep mirror finish i was uber impressed :lol: I took some pics at this point to show the mirror finish.

STEP 4

Then i applied my Megs Step 3 Carnuba Wax to the whole car to lock in the finish and help protect the paintwork with the weather getting worse every day really.

STEP 5

Then finally i done all the tit and tat bits which were clean the windows using everyday window cleaner from under the sink and using my new microfibre glass cloth and again i was amazed with this cloth at how easy it was to clean the windows without leaving streaks everywhere! And finally went over the plastic trims and rubber etc with my AG Vinyl and Rubber care.

I didnt get a chance to go over the interior but i will just give that a quick hoover and wipe over tonight.

In summary i was really pleased with the outcome and i actually enjoyed it using the new cloths because they make it much easier whereas it used to get tedious and annoying before trying to get rid of streaks etc and plus i was always rushed! So a big thank you to Riley for his help and the cloths. All pictures of the car can be found HERE. But i have attched one of the mirror finish after the polish was applied on the bonnet!

Thanks,

Rob.

Really must give my car the Meguiars three stage treatment.. how much do all 3 parts cost together? And the microfibre cloths, etc...?

I've got the Megs 3 stage and it's OK. The Polish (Step 2) is the best bit IMO. The whole lot's under £25 so it's pretty damn cheap. I find that if the paints a little dull some Poor Boys SSR2 (£8.99) helps as it's very slightly abrasive. I do this in place of the paint cleaner. I there are better waxes out there. Swissol Onyx is good but you need warm/hot bodywork for the wax to "go off" properly.

Yeah i am sure that there are much better products out there but i just wanted to get a starter kit really and the megs 3 step kit seemed to have a few recommendations so i thought i would give it a try and i am quite impressed with it. The polish is great stuff really gives the paint a deep shin but the wax doesnt seem to add to it like some waxes do but i only really added the wax as protection i was already happy with the shine from the polish.

And yeah volksdevil is where i get most my stuff from (well now it is anyway :lol:) Neil is a top guy and always willing to help so you cant beat that really! The 3 step kit is £22.99 IIRC and as for the cloths the drying cloth is £6.99, the glass cloth is £4.49 and the polishing cloth is £5.99 but i got this for free with his current offer which ends very soon so order them quick if you are going to :lol: They are all HERE.

Rob.

Good tip! If it gets your VR as shiney as it is in your pic then it must be OK. THe Blackberry looks awesome with a deep shine like that.

Further to what I said before the other reason I use the Onyx wax is that the shine literally lasts for about 6 months.