Sign in to follow this  
SchnellNicky

Are VR6's depreciating in value?

Hi all, I have been following prices of VR6's for a few months and am concerned that they are dropping in value, they seem to be everywhere now and quite cheap? :roll:

I bought mine in August, it has very low mileage (genuine 74k) with full history and really is exceptional, almost concours (and will remain that way until I have to sell her) I am concerned at how little they seem to go for even in that condition?

The reason I ask is that it looks like she will have to be sold before (or hopefully after if I can string it out long enough) Christmas as she is a third car, and we are moving, I really can't justify keeping such a nice car when there are things like stamp duty and estate agents :p fees to pay, besides which we won't have a garage to keep her in (she has led a very charmed life!)

Is it just the time of year or do you think all the hype in recent months has pushed the prices too far? I'd be interested to hear what members think as I am having doubts as to what to advertise her for when that time comes :mad:

Thanks in anticipation,

Nicky.

Prices tend to drop in the winter anyway, just like house prices. TBH, i cant see the VR prices dropping much more, if anything they will likely move upwards next year, especially in the spring/summer time.

When I bought the S3 I was planning to sell the Corrado until I looked how much they were fetching, of course as I bought it in September 2000 I stood to take quite a drop. It was parked in the garage a while and then we decided it might be nice to tidy up a bit as an occasional driver, and then for some reason I cannot really understand now I decided to put climate control in. Couldn't face the wiring today so rebuilt the cylinder head and started fitting the new timing chains, it's more relaxing.

Just looked at the V5 and the car was first registered 1/11/95, eleven years old today. Maybe we'll be driving it again before it's 12???

I think if you have a genuine tidy car it should hold its value better.

It depends what you compare it to,a golf vr6 hasnt got the same value at all.

The rumours over car tax and anything over a 1.8 paying higher car tax dont help with values.

They are sought after but only if right.

how much will you be wanting? With that mileage and in very good nick i would have thought yours would be worth more than others out there.... i think people are quickly becoming wise to the fact that there are lots of people trying to ask top dollar for high mileage vr's..... (and by yours being a low mileage example it should be pretty sought after!)

i thought theyd pepped up a bit in value tbh. Lots in the late 2ks up to 3500 it seamed for a good one a few months back. But now for decent ones we seem to be back to 4-5k+

Suspect as mentioned that will come down again for the winter though.

TBH i think they will level off now and you will allways pay 4-5k for a good one, and nowadays it will depend on what refreshing of expensive tired components you've done too, the more subtle the better if modified.

Personally i'd take one hell of hit in the face if i sold it. :-(

Thanks all for the response, gives me a good reason to hang on to her for a while, having just had a mega service done on her and full engineers report showing she is 110%, the same engineer who warned me off of buying a VR6 (or as he calls them VR5 cos the 6th cylinder goes!) even he remarked what a lovely car it was and in such exceptional nick.

I paid top whack for her but she is totally original and so solid, I would be hoping for in excess of 5k but it gives me the excuse to hang on till Spring, I don't think it's a good time to sell anything yet with Christmas looming but I've had some interest from people that have seen her around. When you look on ebay and autotrader and see what's around they seem to be giving them away, but as you say, a lot are well in excess of 110k but then I suppose as long as they have been looked after that's not a real problem, but the mileage will still show through in the interior and other bits.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, I wanted a low mileage one and the body/ interior reflects that, it's finding someone who appreciates that as much as I did and is willing to pay a bit more. :wink:

Maybe we'll sell the Passat instead!