Sign in to follow this  
Pickard1

Anyone on here an MOT tester??

Hi all.

My brothers old runaround has just failed its MOT on a few points that our mechanic feels are a bit borderline. He had advised we just resubmit it to another test center. I'm sure you could do this in the olden days, but doesn't this new computer system mean that the new MOT station can see all the failures that the original MOT station failed it on??

Thanks,

Dan

You will be able to resubmit to another test station, the only data that is held on file is the emissions test!!!

You also need to allow the 7 days to pass otherwise its classed as a retake at that current garage...

You will be able to resubmit to another test station, the only data that is held on file is the emissions test!!!/

Which is a very good point. If you are likely to fail your MOT on emmisions, and want to get over this problem by passing a wedge of folding paper to your friendly tester, you can only do this on your initial MOT, and they must get a reading, probably from another car that is hanging around...., otherwise your 'fail' reading ends up on the computer and could cause you and the tester issues in the future.... :lcop:

Just to clarify, will tester #2 be able to see on the computer system that tester #1 has done a test?

The emissions wern't tested as the exhaust was apparently blowing.

Just to clarify, will tester #2 be able to see on the computer system that tester #1 has done a test?

The emissions wern't tested as the exhaust was apparently blowing.

You cant see any previous information submitted.Even emission data.

No you cant and every tester has different opinions what is and isn't acceptable.

/rant

Well imo that's just shit - it's an mot - there should be no 'whats acceptable' about it - it should be either:

A - within the tolerances of xyz

or

B - not within the tolerances of xyz so thererfore a fail.

Sorry to rant, but I have always felt that the mot is such an arbitary peice of legislation. Some garages will always use the test as a way of getting extra work. My missus took her car for an mot at a major car place only to be told the car had failed on this that and the other. I told her to take it to the place we usually use, for a second opinion (which she didn't do initially coz of the extra mileage). Their second opinion was a couple of advisories but otherwise a pass. What the hell is that all about? If this test is to basically deem the car's road worthiness then it must not be down to the testers opinion - it must be a quantifiable test. The facts that Mr I'm a Complete Jobsworth and Mr I'm a Complete Chill Dude and Mr I Want a Bribe have different attitudes to what is 'safe' and what is 'not safe' must not come into the equasion. It must be pass or fail according to the rulebook.

/end rant

sorry if I sound like a bit of a cock, but the system as it is sucks.

Yea the system sucks,but not all testers can judge worn corroded parts like everybody else or we would all be robots.

The advisories is just to cover our asses when parts get close to there legal limit and even when we advise customers still want to complain !! Even with a pass!

Its like marmite,you ether love it or hate it.

Yeah i agree with timmaaah. But like you say CorradoVR6-n.o.s-

The advisories is just to cover our asses when parts get close to there legal limit and even when we advise customers still want to complain

Then again, i dont think the MOT test covers somethings that can make a car unroadworthy. I also think some garages use it as an excuse to get extra work.

TBH id never go to a larger garage for servicing, mots and general repairs etc, i find you get a more truthful and honest opinion, whether it be bad or good from a small local garage. After all it matters more to them if they get a bad rep then it would to a larger company.

Ok, a good tip here is to use an MOT test centre run by a council for fleet vehicles, they have to be open to the public and are often cheaper than most places and they do not do repairs so altho they will stick to the book they will not fail you on certain things where others might as there is no incentive...

The only sure way to decide if a component is failed or not is to remove it from the car and either place it on a test rig or dismantle it and measure each relevant piece against the blueprints.

Clearly you can't do that in an MOT test, so clearly there has to be a bit of "skill and judgement" involved on the part of the tester, which comes down to human judgement, which means variability ...

Since the variability can't be eradicated, all you can hope to do is get rid of the actually fraudulent testers telling you to replace things that do not need replacing. For everything else, whether it's borderline or clearly failed, I'd rather know about it than carry on driving around in blissful ignorance until it falls off..

I thought all advisories were available to look at online?

Prive is going up to over £50 soon too!

7th of november it goes up, thats today :!:!:! mines due in a few weeks, i shoulda thought ahead and saved some money

Going on from some of what has been mentioned above regarding corrosion.

I was told by my mechanic that the acceptance criteria for brake lines is that the corrosion pitting should not penetrate more than 1/3 rd deep into the diamiter of the pipe. If this is the case (can someone confirm) then the test is completely subjective and there is no way to confirm this without destroying the pipes.

I think I may ask for my old brake lines back and mount them up to examine under a microscope. I could then confirm if they were genuine failures or -hopefully - prove that they were ok. I doubt there would be any comeback on this, but it might be fun to show up the garage. :lol:

Update on this one....

MOT station 2 passed the car with 5 advisories and no fails.

The original station gave it 14 failure points!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well I didnt want an unsafe car, just dont want to pay for stuff thats not necessary. They appeared sound to me and MOT station #2 were in agreement.

As I said above, its a totally subjective test, but I see my fair share of rusty stuff in my line of work so feel pretty safe in my judgement.

Why not complain about the 1st garage, there is a procedure to this I think details are ont he back of a an MOT cert. If they were wrong (and trying to drum up repair business) you should get your fee refunded at least.

Update on this one....

MOT station 2 passed the car with 5 advisories and no fails.

The original station gave it 14 failure points!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

what did they fail it on?

1. Leaking steering rack

2. front nearside wiper blades

3. front offside wiper blades

4. front offside windscreen wash inoperative

5. front nearside windscreen wash inoperative

6. rear offside brake line corroded

7. rear nearside brake line corroded

8. front nearside brake line corroded

9. front nearside indicator colour incorrect

10.front offside indicator colour incorrect

11. rear wing corroded

cant remember the rest, lost the cert already. :lol:

All I did was clean the filter on the washer bottle and gunk the steering rack to remove the hydraulic fluid spray.

The thing that really annoyed me was the indicators. They are clear so they look like boy racer add-ons, but because its an Si, they came like that as standard. Im sure standard trim cant be illigal, but I reckon they saw it as a quick couple of quid, presuming my little bro had added them a la max power.

At the end of MOT 1 they offered to take it off my hands for 30 quid, or quoted 450 :lol: quid to repair. Its a 11 yr old fiesta. :x

edit: just rememberd the other faults was play in various bushes

clear indictors have ambar bulbs,the paint comes/burns off and they turn white, some testers will fail it some won't

can't see the rear wing failing unless its by the sill or it has sharp edges or is about to fall off

the bushes will be the wishbones ones

the rear brakes pipes in the wheel arch just before the flex hose and by the petrol tank do burst on mk3 and 4 fiesta's, with out seeing them its hard to say

but £450 for repair is a bit rich