Sign in to follow this  
VeeDub Geezer

that annoying little screw to mount discs on front

it snapped off last year when changing discs but once the wheels are fitted itsa pretty much tight anyways.

we seem to be gettin a squeel from the front discs which sounds like the discs are off centre/warped.

any suggestions to remove the thread of the screw stuck in the hub carrier? just wanna try replacing the screw before changing the discs etc again.

many thanks

Its not too important but id probably try and sort it too,like things right :D

Is there enough thread stuck out to get a hacksaw across it? to turn it into a flat head screw?

Or file a flat on two sides and get some good vice grips on it?

Neil.

Get a bolt/screw extractor. (otherwise known as eazi-outs). Unless the screw is standing proud it won't be having any effect whatsoever on your brakes. I've not had any bolts in my brake discs for years. all they do is allign the discs so that you can get the wheelbolts through them. Squealing is most likely a lack of copper grease on the rear of your brake pads.

I had to drill out and re-tap the screw on mine, very frustrating, but it's an easier job to do the brakes now...

An I agree with the lack of copper grease as the cause of your squealing, and possibly the anti squak spring clip things missing/not fitted right.

This is the painstaking way, easier than retapping though.

Soak the remainder of the screw in WD-40, get some decent HSS drill bits, start with a very small bit and drill into the screw. A decent bit will drill into it easy, just go at it slowly and keep the bit in the centre of the screw so as not to damage any of the threads.

If you have any luck, just drilling a hole through it should work it loose and it should come with the movement of the drill bit. If not keep going up drill bit sizes and keep taking off more layers of the screw, sooner or later it will give!