CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

Hi All, thought it was time to put a few pics on. Mainly because I remembered to take some not long after cleaning the car!

vrfarm.jpg

Recent Midlands meet in Coventry.

millenCov1.jpg

Megasquirt fitting.

megainstall.jpg

Future Stuff! :lol: :lol:

turbobits.jpg

Edited by CrazyDave

Dave, that's looking minty! Can't wait to see this in the metal.

Only downside is, I'm obviously going to have to get shining my own, else I'm going to be totally outdone by this!

Cheers everyone.

Some pictures just come out OK. I've a few chips on the bonnet and the odd little scrape here and there but they just don't show up from certain angles.

The picture was taken at the new work offices, which is still a building site. Brickies grinding stuff and making loads of dust. And today it rained and turned into a mud bath! So it's not looking so shiney any more. :(

Turbo bits are though :D

OK, found some new motivation recently with the turbo project. Started sorting out all the gaskets, pipes, bolts and fittings needed.

Big thanks to KevHaywire and everybody else on here for providing the right kind of encouragement.

TurboA.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about how far the wastegate actuator sticks out?

TurboB.jpg

TurboC.jpg

Oil and water feed / return fittings and pipes, weld in bungs etc all sourced from ATP Turbos. It's just like Tesco's online for turbo bits!

TurboD.jpg

My turbo has a 3" 4 bolt flange that knowbody seems to do a gasket for? Tried ATP Turbos but no joy? Also fitted here is the weld on flange for the downpipe. Sourced some of the parts for this but leaving the rest until the car fitting starts.

Nice one Dave, this is gonna be seriously interesting once it all together, you really must let me have a drive of this beasty when it's finished............. LOL! :mrgreen:

Started on the turbo project today.

1.jpg

For the record, standard VR6 engine bay.

2.jpg

Under bonnet looks much cleaner with the inlet manifold gone.

Oh and if you're all wondering why I've only taken one plug lead off, it's cos my lead remover tool broke, DOH.

3.jpg

Exhaust manifolds came off really easy. Downpipe is going to need an angle grinder underneath cos all three bolts are seized and funny sizes due to rusting.

4.jpg

Front end removed for access. Lots of little bits of rust hiding behind the bumper to sort out.

nice work,were did you get that exhaust manifold from?

The turbo manifold was from Tommy (IbIVR on http://www.vr6oc.com) but you can get them from the states.

Downpipe will be a CrazyDave special fabricated in a kevHaywire /cheesewire style 3" instead. Oh fun and games :)

Cheers All, Mr Sands you'll have to drop in and have a look!

Good work CrazyDave, looking forward to seeing this when its all done.

Whats your estimates on the output when its all done and are you leaving it a 2.9 or going for a rebore aswell??

Good man Dave, glad to see you're cracking on with it 8)

You should really enjoy the project, I know I did.

Where did you get that 4" to 3" silicon reducer from? Or is it a regular one you've cut down yourself? The only place I see neat ones like that was ATPturbo.

I thought your turbo was V banded? Obviously not then. I would really, really recommend you split the turbo housings and send the hot side away for V banding. AET turbos can do that for you. It not only makes the profile shallower for the front pipe's 90 deg bend (remember the gear cables, LOL!) , but when you trial fit the front pipe MANY times during it's construction, V band will be a lot easier for you.

Give me a shout if you have any questions etc, being as you're following the same path I did, parts wise.

The TIAL wastegate has acres of clearance for the bulkhead, don't worry about that. It's easier fitting that to the manifold after you've dropped the turbo/manifold onto the head....but you'll spot all this as you go along ;-)

Where did you get that 4" to 3" silicon reducer from? Or is it a regular one you've cut down yourself? The only place I see neat ones like that was ATPturbo.

Yeh, ATP for the silicon bits, good price too IMO.. T-Clamps are really nice stainless ones to ($4.50!).

I thought your turbo was V banded? Obviously not then. I would really, really recommend you split the turbo housings and send the hot side away for V banding. AET turbos can do that for you. It not only makes the profile shallower for the front pipe's 90 deg bend (remember the gear cables, LOL!) , but when you trial fit the front pipe MANY times during it's construction, V band will be a lot easier for you.

I'll give it a trial fit and see. Can see what you mean, space looks fine until you actually get the stuff in place and in soon fills up.

Give me a shout if you have any questions etc, being as you're following the same path I did, parts wise.

The TIAL wastegate has acres of clearance for the bulkhead, don't worry about that. It's easier fitting that to the manifold after you've dropped the turbo/manifold onto the head....but you'll spot all this as you go along

Cheers Kev, thanks for the offer. Bound to hit fun and games at some point, early days yet.

Whats your estimates on the output when its all done and are you leaving it a 2.9 or going for a rebore aswell??

Engines only just over 70k, so I'll see when the head comes off how it looks? Quite a bit of oil residue in the breather hose though?

Going for a nice mild 8psi to start with. Although reading about Kev's it sounds like a torque monster from about 2500rpm

Although reading about Kev's it sounds like a torque monster from about 2500rpm

I bet you cant wait to get it done, nice one!!

Did you order direct from ATP Dave? Good service?

I need to tidy up my intake and boost pipework and their stuff looks excellent.

ATP have been great. All my orders have arrived within 4-5 days. I did them online through the website, as long as you know what you need sizes etc it's perfect. Quality is first rate.

I compared some prices with UK suppliers and ATP seem very good (sorry UK suppliers but some items I checked had the same price in pounds sterling as in US Dollars so with an exchange rate of at least 1.92 even with import duty and postage it's much better value direct from the States).

looking good Dave, you will have to let me no when your done, would love a go in a turbo'd vr6. did you get any joy with the exhaust??

looking good Dave, you will have to let me no when your done, would love a go in a turbo'd vr6. did you get any joy with the exhaust??

Yeh, made a trip up to Midland VW just before taking the C off the road. Jodie sorted it out, a bit of fiddling to get it fitted right but great service. They weren't happy until I was. Shame they're a bit far away for me, or I'd be using them a bit more. Thanks for putting a word in with Jodie, great deal.

2.5" SS Jetex cat back. Oval pipe has a nice standard look about it, but polished and shiny! Fits very nice and only a little bit more noise over standard, should be really quiet with the turbo on.

I'll put you on the list for the turbo experience! Along with DaveStorm and Mr Sands.

Where abouts are Midland VW based? I've heard a lot of good things about them!

edit

Ah - cannock. About 50 miles from me :(

Will definitely pop over at some point and see how all this is going Dave.

As for the ride in the end product, can't wait!