CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

Yes to all of those....oil pressure would need a sender fitting, but then the software would do everything else 8)

I would think that cooling wise it will just be the air going round the bay that's doing most of the cooling. Once the stat has closed the fans will just be pulling cool air into the bay through the radiator.

I think Opie might cringe at oil on 120 degC!

I never suspected you of being cruel to Corrados Tom! :shock:

1 x Speed input. From crank sensor, road speed etc

You won't have to have all these things (to keep the cost down for a basic controller), but I thought I make the box as flexible as I could given the space available :)

Wow, seriously impressive feature set Dave :salute:

Expanding on the speed input functionality, I'm seeing a good oppurtunity here for Traction control :D

The only TC system I'm aware of that accepts a VR signal is Racelogic's, but at £500 for a basic system, it's beyond the reach of many. Standalones equipped with TC only accept Hall signals in the

So, how about building in a VR to Hall converter circuit? I'd happily pay extra for a premium version with that in it? :D

And with your Motronic expertise, I'm very confident you could come up with a "CrazyTraction" controller too :notworthy: It's basically just an injector cut signal proportional to wheel slip. Sounds dodgy running a motor lean to cut power, but it's done by cutting more than 50% fuel, thereby creating a misfire condition instead of a dangerous lean one. The misfire won't be felt by the user though.

For those that don't know about Racelogic, it is currently the best aftermarket TC system - http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control

And if you're interested in incorporating a VR to Hall signal, here's a circuit that will do it :D

Really interested in the sound of this, if only to get actual / accurate temperature information on my car and know that it's cooling itself properly! :)

When are you likely to release the product Dave? And what size/shape of box is it? Curious to see one now

Yes to all of those....oil pressure would need a sender fitting, but then the software would do everything else 8)

I would think that cooling wise it will just be the air going round the bay that's doing most of the cooling. Once the stat has closed the fans will just be pulling cool air into the bay through the radiator.

Excellent, I realise the fans being on won't actually cool the coolant if the stat is shut, but I like the idea of moving the hot air around and out of the engine bay if sat still.

I'll speak to you about it Saturday. :)

Sorry guys, not posted replies yet. Trying to get on :lol:

Nice little conditioning circuit Kev! I was planning on lifting the VR conditioning circuit that Megasquirt uses, worked fine when I ran that last. Looks very similar. No plans for traction control yet, but the box is more of a building block for future stuff, that happens to do a nice job with fan controller for now :) Had a read through the info you linked to, all pretty standard stuff. Doesn't DTA have a traction control function?

The enclosure I have is about 100x80x35mm and will have some water proof connectors on the 100x80 side that'll make it be more like 80 high. Pretty small considering, made from anodised aluminium.

Timescale is ASAP, hoping to have it working in my car in about a week. But really want to give it all a good testing before letting anybody else loose with it.

I haven't costed up properly yet either......... so much to do and so little time :lol:

Edit.... if you run two Revotec fans they draw approx 45amps at startup :shock: and then settle to about 18A. With the PWM control they only draw ~20A ramping to full speed quickly :wink: Should sit at about 6-7A when holding a VR at 90deg.

Doesn't DTA have a traction control function?

It does indeed but it only accepts hall signals, so I need to convert the VR signal from the ABS sensors to Hall, but that's where I get stuck. I got that circuit off the DTA forum, but if a megasquirt one can do the same job, all the better. I'm rubbish with electronics and PCBs, so if you fancied making a VR to Hall converter as a low priority side dish, I'd be very interested :D

Edit.... if you run two Revotec fans they draw approx 45amps at startup :shock: and then settle to about 18A. With the PWM control they only draw ~20A ramping to full speed quickly :wink: Should sit at about 6-7A when holding a VR at 90deg.

Jesus! That's a big improvement from your fan controller! Is there a delay around the target temperaure to stop the fans switching on and off constantly? E.g. 93 deg switch on, but doesn't turn off again until, say 90 deg?

Yeh the temperature control will have some hysteresis built in to stop in running the fan all the while.

I'll look at the VR converter circuit separately, looks like you need a little board to convert and let DTA do the rest.

Time for an update.....I think we have everything we want on the first generation. Quick pic of the board :)

aux-controller.jpg[/attachment:2zjn6kiq]

Yeh the temperature control will have some hysteresis built in to stop in running the fan all the while.

I'll look at the VR converter circuit separately, looks like you need a little board to convert and let DTA do the rest.

Time for an update.....I think we have everything we want on the first generation. Quick pic of the board :)

aux-controller.jpg[/attachment:12xtnap3]

K...

sooooo.... have you thought about a price yet? :)

Been working hard on getting this sorted. It now has two flavours, the one above is the singing and dancing version, but it's worked out a little more that expected cost wise so I've also done a cut down variable speed controller for motorsport fans.

It's housed in the standard controller box and is plug and play. The fans are triggered by the standard engine switches, so the slimline motorsport fans will change speeds like the standard fan but much smoother and drawing less than half the current of the standard fan tray. The speeds can be adjusted to suit your application (ie those with a bit more than standard HP :lol: ). Aux pump run on time can also be adjusted to suit. It will easily drive 2 fans and is rated at 56amps.

Currently expect the price to be £79+VAT and exchange for your old controller (we need the box and connectors to recycle them 8) )

What do you reckon?

The VR fan controllers are slightly different to a g60 one?

Well the shape of the connector is any way..At least it was on one I took off a VR6golf.

Will that change anything for a prospective g60 buyer? :)

Price sounds good to me,especially for a plug and play solution. :salute:

They are different. I had a chat about this with another G60 owner today. Don't see a problem doing a similar thing with the G60 unit, but I will investigate further.

I have a video of the fan controller working which I'll post in a bit :)

There's 2 different VR fan control units aren't there?

Roughly how much would it be to buy a high spec controller that could display oil pressure in car and have a engine rev dependant output for say, a variable geometry inlet manifold?

As promised a quick video of the 'action' :lol: Clicky

I'll have to get back to you on the other option Tom, the other controller is designed but still don't know about the display, mounting hardware etc etc to be able to price it properly. I have a display in mind which looks really good in the car centre console but I need to get a few more things done first. Variable manifold eh.... what are you up to :lol:

Variable manifold eh.... what are you up to :lol:

Some half baked idea. :tongue:

Need to nip up to Norfolk to investigate further.... :wink:

The speeds can be adjusted to suit your application (ie those with a bit more than standard HP :lol: ). Aux pump run on time can also be adjusted to suit. It will easily drive 2 fans and is rated at 56amps.

Currently expect the price to be £79+VAT and exchange for your old controller (we need the box and connectors to recycle them 8) )

What do you reckon?

Perfect!

Price seems fair to me!

Will it come with wiring instructions because I don't use a single bit of the VW fan wiring any more? :D