CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

looking good Dave,seems that there is allot of excitement for UD! its a 4hr trip for me so i might have a look down with a mate,i would like to see yours and Shaun's in the flesh.. 8)

That would be great James!

Finally get to meet you and Shaun :)

You'd only get bored Shaun, a VRT and speed limits greater than 40mph......

:lol: yea and you might not get baned!

Would be good to names to faces so im hoping to get down,were will your cars be,as i will have a hard time spotting you lot without your cars!

:lol: yea and you might not get baned!

Would be good to names to faces so im hoping to get down,were will your cars be,as i will have a hard time spotting you lot without your cars!

Just PM'd my mobile number James, give me a shout. Not sure what the layout of the hall is at to mo but Shaun and I are 2 of the 5 car CCGB stand.

Tonights challenge following the recent theme of 'Jobs to do on your Corrado in the dark'.

Following last weeks fitting of the rear suspension beam and calipers.

Bled the brakes after leaving the air to settle for a couple of days. Went round all corners and found a bit more air from the OS rear and NS front. Pedal feels good now, but won't be able to check if it's fully correct cos the battery was flat (not been moved for about 3 weeks :( ) and needed to run the engine to get the servo working.

Oh and ealier in the daylight, gave it a quick wash (whilst still all on axle stands) :)

The lengths all you show guys goto getting cars all nice a clean for people to look at. I must have spent 4 weeks now (on and off) cleaning under arches and under the back end. Feels like I haven't even started yet. Still not happy with the front arches or the floor.

Really starting to appreciate how much effort goes into this stuff. Think I'll stick to fitting turbos, making 3" exhausts and custom inlet manifolds :D

Anyway, tonights little project was to get the inside clean. Vacuumed all the carpets and mats (including the boot) etc cleaned the dash and all the glass inside and out. Found a spot under the front seats that doesn't look like its ever seen a rag or vac, down the side of the centre console by the handbrake, not easy to get at with the seats in....

Had a quick test with some new (well new for me!) paint cleaner. Dodo Juice Lime Prime. Really fetched all the old grime off the paint (although I only tried one panel). Next was Dodo Juice Blue Velvet hard wax, used a Megs applicator pad and worked the wax gently onto the paint. Left it to harden and then buffed clean. Looks fantastic, really brings out the metallic. Seemed to go on really easy which was quite a nice surprise :)

Hopefully on Friday afternoon I'll get chance to go over the whole car to get it looking a bit better on the outside. Maybe Shaun will give me a hand :)

Tonights challenge following the recent theme of 'Jobs to do on your Corrado in the dark!

Oh and ealier in the daylight, gave it a quick wash (whilst still all on axle stands) :)

PMSL and so did Judith :lol:

Like my challenge last year "Things to do on a roundabout at Le Mans in the rain in the dark" - that particular challenge started and finished with fitting a ribbed supercharger belt that was 9" too long to a toothed drive set-up

Like my challenge last year "Things to do on a roundabout at Le Mans in the rain in the dark" - that particular challenge started and finished with fitting a ribbed supercharger belt that was 9" too long to a toothed drive set-up

Looks like the makings of a whole new forum thread then! I remember you telling me about that little challenge, but didn't realise it was raining and dark :) Nothing like a good challenge eh!

thats why i never do shows as i cant be arsed to clean it ! :lol:

good on ya dave!

Cheers James, when you start looking closely you suddenly realise just how much work needs doing. Need to strip the front corners down and have a good sort out, it's all looking a bit old and rusty. But thats a job for another time, don't panic!

Tonights challenge following the recent theme of 'Jobs to do on your Corrado in the dark!

Oh and earlier in the daylight, gave it a quick wash (whilst still all on axle stands) :)

PMSL and so did Judith :lol:

Works a treat and is the ultimate in anti-theft :)

Wheels back on tonight and down off the axle stands.

Went for a quick test drive, big grins all the way! Well apart from the brake pedal being worse than before :( Must still be some air trapped. Hoping to get hold of a vacuum brake bleeder to give that a try. Anybody tried one of these?

Rear suspension feels much better with the new bushes in, seems to ride the bumps now, not crash and bang.

Hoping to get hold of a vacuum brake bleeder to give that a try. Anybody tried one of these?

Ive got 2 types at work, one works on vacuum and the other pressurises the res and forces the new fluid through, both work well and its a one man operation :D

Graham

Cheers Nemesis, I tried pressure bleeding several times and that didn't work, think it depends on how much air is in the system. Vacuum sounds like a good idea thats how cars and bikes are done on production lines, but with a huge vac pump. They pull a really hard vacuum and then open valves attached to the calipers to allow the fluid in, fluid replaces vacuum, sorted 8)

Well big thanks to my friend Nick. We set to bleeding the brakes the old fashioned way and sorted it last night (in the dark of course!). Loads of air still in the rears that the pressure bleeder wouldn't get out.

The method that worked goes like this:

Bleed the master cylinder, I did this with a pressure bleeder first. It's just a £20 Gunson thing that attaches to the front tyre and the master cylinder pot. Remove the pressure bleeder before doing the calipers.

Attach bleed tube to NS rear caliper. Get mate to place large boot on brake pedal and press really hard. Open bleed nipple quickly until pedal hits floor, then nip it back up again. Repeat until fluid runs clear. Make sure the brake compensation valve is fully up before starting, put a cable tie around it. Check the fluid level in the reservoir after each session or all you hard work will be undone.

Loads of pressure on the pedal is the key. Don't go half hearted at it, heave on the steering if you have too.

Repeat all the above for OS rear, NS front and OS front.

Then bleed the master cylinder again as above with the pressure bleeder.

The pedal now feels really good and a spirited test drive confirmed that all is well 8) I must say that the brake pedal on my non-ABS valver feels much better than the VR ever has, must be all the extra pipework.

Oh interesting method Dave, will try this when i eventually do mine :)

Good work Dave 8)

Blue calipers look pretty good actually! Better than Skoda green, and different from the usual Brembo red!

Any updates on the business end of the car? When are you going to start playing with boost?!?! :lol:

Good work Dave 8)

Blue calipers look pretty good actually! Better than Skoda green, and different from the usual Brembo red!

Any updates on the business end of the car? When are you going to start playing with boost?!?! :lol:

and much better than rusty red :lol:

Nothing changed 'up front'. Same plan really, suspension (KW V3!), brakes, diff. Any more torque than it's already got is going to be hard work putting down so a bit of a waste IMO.

A few pics of the old gal at U-Dubs this weekend 8)

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC_0001.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

Corrado92.pdfDSC_0006.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC_0014.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_0029.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_0030.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

DSC_0111.jpg[/attachment:3r53k1rv]

Very pleased with how the paint came up, worth all the effort. :D

Quality, you'd never think your car had ~ 300hp under the hood to look at it :lol: Looks super clean and stock!

I wish I could run mine boggo looking like yours, but sadly the brakes dictate otherwise :? Standing on them makes up for it though :lol: