Sign in to follow this  
Pickard1

Another hot G60

My G60 is running hot.

When sitting at 80-90 on the motorway the needle is sitting at 110oC, this seems too hot considering the airflow that the radiator is seeing at these speeds.

When I leave the motorway into heavy traffic it will then cool down to maybe 100oC as I slow, before heating back up to to 110oC after a few mins in the traffic.

The fan sometimes comes on and sometimes doesnt. I know the fan wiring is good and the fan switch is only 4 months old. The waterpump was also new 4 months ago.

I am thinking that I have some kind of intermittent thermostat problem, or maybe a thermostat that is only opening slightly...does this sound reasonable...

Anyway, I think I will order a new thermostat tomorrow and try and fit it on Friday.

I know the concencus on temp senders has swung back to getting VAG ones, should I get a VAG thermostat too?

Also I need to order: thermostat, o ring, new plastic elbow, new bolts?....anything else?

Cheers

Dan :D

The fan sometimes comes on and sometimes doesnt.

It might be worth changing the thermoswitch aswell then?

Thermoswitch was changed 4 months ago with a genuine part. This was when I discovered my fan didnt work on low speed. I still have the switch I took out, which as far as I am aware wasnt broken in the first place. I may play about with switching these over.

The main reason that I think its the thermostat is because temp is hot even on the motroway. At these speeds the rad is seeing plenty of cold air and it shouldnt matter if the fan is working or not. If the stat is not opening fully then the rad wont be seeing the hot water and cant cool at speeds and the fan wont be coming on in traffic......this is my theory anyway......anyone agree??? :?

After I ordered the parts today the fan was coming on at every roundabout and the temp was sitting at just over 100 at sustained motorway speeds. So it seems to have fixed itself :lol:

Tomorrow I think i might go to maplins and buy a little electronics set so I can set about testing some of these switches I keep replacing :lol:

I changed the thermostat and black temp sender at the weekend.

Just drove to work and the water is running 20oC cooler on the dial and oil 14oC cooler at constant speed on the motorway.

I think its safe to say the problem is solved.

Thanks everyone!! :D

I did notice a leak from the gearbox while under the car though..... :roll:

Was that a VAG Black Temp Sensor ?? Just that i put a GSF one in mine and it read about 20 degrees cooler till it gave up and died.

I've got a VAG one in there now and my temps are about the same as yours, changed the thermostat and switch also but no change.

I used a Vag Black sensor.

I was concerned that the drop I was seeing might just be the difference between the two sensors, but as the oil has dropped by a similar amount I think this confirms that the engine temp has dropped as a whole.

The state of modification of the engine will also have an effect on the temperature. I have a 68mm pulley and a mocal oil cooler with the stock oil cooler/warmer removed. When I fitted the 68mm pulley (before I got the mocal) the water and oil temperatures rose by about 10oC due to all the extra hot air. The mocal seems to have brought things back into line - 86oC oil @ 90mph over a 40 mile motorway journey this morning :D