Sign in to follow this  
georgek

VR high revs on cold morning start

Hi All,

Been lurking for quite a while as 9/10 times the search sorts me out, but I'm stumped on this one!

When I start my VR on a really cold morning, the revs shoot up to about 2/2.5k for about 2 seconds, then settle down to normal again.

It wasn't doing it until the temperatures took a nose dive over the past week or so.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

George

Funny you should mention that, mine did it yesterday, then again this morning. I was going to ask if this was normal too! :)

Sounds like a normal response to having to fire up 2.9 litres of engine with fuel, air, and engine block at 4 degrees C to me.

Agree with dr_mat

No mechanic but nothing wrong there I don't think....When starting my VR from cold, revs up then drops back to idle and maintains.

Cheers guys.

I wouldn't lurk as much if I actually had something worthwhile to contribute Kev.

Unfortunately my lack of knowledge means I'm more of a taker than a giver :wink: :D

Ah but you don't have to contribute anything at all to be welcomed on here chap!! :-)

We like to know who all our Corrado driving brothers/sisters are you see!

It's amazing how many Corrado owners I meet that have either never heard of the forum or know of it and just don't sign on!! They love the cars and are very enthusiastic, but for some reason are Forumphobics, LOL! :-)

Ah but you don't have to contribute anything at all to be welcomed on here chap!! :-)

We like to know who all our Corrado driving brothers/sisters are you see!

It's amazing how many Corrado owners I meet that have either never heard of the forum or know of it and just don't sign on!! They love the cars and are very enthusiastic, but for some reason are Forumphobics, LOL! :-)

I've become the complete opposite of a "Forumphobic" and become a Forum-aholic !! :lol:

I'm glad this thread appeared, as mine does the same thing and I always wondered if it was normal. The combination of slightly worn timing chains, tappets and 2k revs from cold ain't the most pleasant sound :lol:

mine (2.9 golf obd2) did the same thing 3 days on the trot imho its VERY unhealthy mine was due to the bored out throttle body i had iv since refitted my stock tb and its fine again 1100 rpm on the nose for 10 secs or so then settles at around 800 till its a bit warmer

The VR engine takes a little cranking - as I'm sure you've noticed - before VW's choice of crank impulse sensing fires up the spark and fuel. Most VR's I've tried blip up to 2000 when stone cold very briefly and then flop down to 1200ish almost straight away, and gradually creep down to 680rpm. This is perfectly normal!

OK. Just been out & started my VR & it did the rev up to 2k thing but they didn't drop for a good 30 seconds. This only started happening the other day, yet it's been cold up here before this without any such problems. :cry:

I'm thinking there could be something up with the automatic choke (as mentioned above)? Either that or the ISV (again suggested earlier in the thread)?

Any ideas folks?

Cheers.

The automatic choke thing is a red herring, the VR6 is fuel injected so automatic chokes don't come into it. I'd check/clean the ISv if it were mine. :-)

Thanks mate, I'll do that. I've got a lumpy idle (man that sounds weird!! :lol: ) so I reckon it needs done anyway!!

Cheers.

The VR engine takes a little cranking - as I'm sure you've noticed - before VW's choice of crank impulse sensing fires up the spark and fuel. Most VR's I've tried blip up to 2000 when stone cold very briefly and then flop down to 1200ish almost straight away, and gradually creep down to 680rpm. This is perfectly normal!

Yeah that's exactly what mine does.