Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

New pants please!!

I was due to move my 3 cars from where they are currently parked (and have been for several months to a year) next weekend on a tow truck to take round to the new house. However, the council decided to whack an order on the windscreen giving me 7 days to move them so thats what ive been doing today.

Ive managed to move the 2 but the golfs rear drums are rusted solid and i just cant free them

Anyway, i charged the battery up for my Corrado G60 as i wanted to move that one first. I put the battery in the car, wired it up, opened the door with the key fob and got in. Started on about the 3rd try and sounded fine. Put her into reverse and she moved ok even with a flat. I saw smoke coming from under the bonnet (it was still open) so jumped out to have a quick look thinking it was a bit of oil burning off.

However, it smelt like petrol and there was a fair bit of light smoke coming from under the manifold. I went back to turn the engine off quick to see what the problem was, and thats when things got a little hairy.

My C has had the door handles replaced with rear passet handles and so has no locks, it is also fitted with an anti-carjack system where the doors automatically lock when the engines on and the door is shut. Can you see where this is going??

Thats right, im standing outside my locked car, the engine running and petrol leaking and smoking inside the engine bay. I yank the cables off the battery thinking that would cut the engine out, it didnt, i ended up having to pull all the HT leads off the plugs to get the engine to cut out. God knows if ive done any damage to it!

It took me about 30 seconds to get the door open with a metal wire coathanger however, which although i was happy at the time just shows how bad the car security really is.

After closer examination, there is a small hose just under where the throttle cable is attached to the throttle body, it has several splits.

I was lucky, but thought it would make a good warning for all you C owners to get yours checked, its an old car now and so are the pipes. I believe its more dangerous on the G60s as there are 3 fuel lines near engine parts that get very hot.

Stu

there's already a sticky on this subject, very common problem

that anti car-jack thingy sounds more trouble than its worth

I won't have the anti car jacking facility on the car anymore...

I've had far to many problems with them in auto arming etc....

Can't beat just good old plain keys :)

I believe quite a few forum members have ended up with the 'locked car, keys in the ignition, engine running, owner outside' scenario...

Best thing if you get stuck in this position is to yank a vac pipe off.. will normally cut the car out pretty much immediately! :)

I believe quite a few forum members have ended up with the 'locked car, keys in the ignition, engine running, owner outside' scenario...

Says the man with first hand experience of locking my keys in the C with the engine running :lol:

Have jsut replaced a leaky petrol hose on an L-reg Astra as it was leaking petrol everywhere. I know it's not a VW but the rubber will be the same age or newer than a lot of Corrado's out there.

Might check the C's over as well now.

Mine also has a tendancy to lock the doors, but it seems to be random (or not random really, it's when you have the car running, then kill the engine but leave the keys in the ignition, like if you jump out to check a wheel or something, and it actually deadlocks the doors. Luckily I've always been in the drivers seat when it's done it...)

My C has had the door handles replaced with rear passet handles and so has no locks, it is also fitted with an anti-carjack system where the doors automatically lock when the engines on and the door is shut. Can you see where this is going??

that made me chuckle :)