Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

VR6 Short runner intake, would anyone be interested in one ?

Phew, I wonder if anybody read past the first paragraph! :?

I did. I always read the techie stuff as it interests me more than wheels and boring interior stuff.

See, I told you I'd been reading up on manifold design, see what happens!

What about this jimmi

I like the look of most of these, in particular the ones with a little extra runner. With the loss on compression ratio I'm looking for every bit of help I can get.

Also, I'd like a little reduction in surface area towards no.1 cylinder, don't want that flow to get confused down that end with an equal box the whole length.

That's precisely how the Schimmel is cast..... i.e. gradual reduction in area over the alternator to equalise flow for cylinders 1 and 2.

I shouldn't worry about the off boost performance. I think you'll find with the GT3071 it won't be an issue. With a good turbo jacket, you'll be making a bar at not much over 3000rpm. The only area you will potentially get lagginess is from the intercooler - if you go air/air that is.

If for what ever reason we can't get these SRIs made, don't forget we can get the Schimmel manifolds at $900 (£474) each in a Group Buy. Unfortunately that will be subject to 2.6% duty and VAT at this end unless we can find a reposter in the states. IMO it's the best one available and it's pretty good value for a new casting.

If for what ever reason we can't get these SRIs made, don't forget we can get the Schimmel manifolds at $900 (£474) each in a Group Buy. Unfortunately that will be subject to 2.6% duty and VAT at this end unless we can find a reposter in the states. IMO it's the best one available and it's pretty good value for a new casting.

Well you put it like that it's a bargain, it's just the duty that kills it!

Schimmel definately the best by a long way, it's had all the right dev work behind it, and it has that rather nice cast OE look about it that makes it very understated. Maybe worth the few quid extra IMO, but funds pretty low just now so maybe later.

I Want a Schimmel too :)

I'd have been going for what Jimmi is doing here but I've already sourced a manifold to chop about and make a semi-short runner. Similar to some of the pics earlier in this thread. So just a bit to late for me.

Always the way.....

any thoughts on this manifold guys before i click buy it now??

Not that pretty, but the price isn't bad.

Looks like it'll fit without changing the rad fans. Maybe get it powdered black or polished to make it look nicer.

Thats what i bought, but i requested that he done a slight variation on it though and it doesnt look too bad once its bolted up to the engine....

One thing I would say about these and similar short runner intakes is ask the seller how thick the plenum walls are. I've seen similar 'home made' intakes balloon up under the boost pressure. Sounds unlikely but it does and can happen! R32 turbos, for the same reason, have to delete the OE plastic intake.

I'm sure well made ones will take this into account, but just be wary of the really cheap ones. Where forced induction is concerned, I don't believe in cutting corners, due to the pressures involved.

Just my 2p....