Sign in to follow this  
markievw

HOW FAR DO YOU COMMUTE

Bang on twenty five miles from my door to school, so it's a fifty mile round trip every day from Worcester to the southwestern tip of Brum.

However, most of it's the M5 so low impact on the VR.

20 miles round trip, saw this thread last night and measured it today. Sometimes takes me 30 minutes though, Worcester ring road is pure h£ll!

Dave, I remain eternally grateful that I am positioned for handy access to junction 7. Whenever people wince at the distance of my commute, I cheerily inform them that if I actually had to get into the middle of Worcester at each end, that would probably double the time.

Without problems, door to door takes me half an hour, and that's to do twenty five miles on the nose.

There's actually a considerable number of staff living here in Worcester who commute up. It's the perfect balance of being near enough to make it up to work easily but just far enough away never to see any of the kids when out shopping or on the lash, which unless you've taught is not a thought that would ever occur. However, trust me: the last thing you want is to see any of the little darlings out and about!

I seem to remember an article in the VWM magazine where a woman was doing a 200mile a day round trip in a mk2 16v. I think the car reached 270,000 miles or something like that

My mk2 is an 8v with 105,000 miles so just run in compared with that

There was that R32 Golf that came up on ebay a while back. 450,000 miles in 2.5 years or something mad like that. Two new engines, one new gearbox...

6 miles each way.

all country roads, virtually no traffic, excellent visibilty to use the whole road if you want....and as fast as you dare!

still can't catch that nutter in the 330D though, he's unhinged.

140 miles round trip a303, m3 and a little bit of lane work which is fun in the dark. but all in all scary watching those miles rack up so quick!

I seem to remember an article in the VWM magazine where a woman was doing a 200mile a day round trip in a mk2 16v. I think the car reached 270,000 miles or something like that

My mk2 is an 8v with 105,000 miles so just run in compared with that

There was that R32 Golf that came up on ebay a while back. 450,000 miles in 2.5 years or something mad like that. Two new engines, one new gearbox...

ahhhh the "diamond-runner"...........was that not just a scam tho

In my diesel barge I do a 66+ mile round trip, between Gloucester and Swindon. Averages around 1hr each way. Mixture of fast dual carriageway, and grid lock'd town/city traffic. Some dodgy back lanes if the A417/A419 is clogged up.

ahhhh the "diamond-runner"...........was that not just a scam tho

Possibly. But who knows. It wasn't proved either way by anyone on the forum, so who's to say it wasn't genuine.

Used to do about 100 miles per day but only had to put up with traffic on the way home ever other week due to shifts.

Now I live in the North of no-where I only do about 14 miles a day, and I am lucky to see more than 10 cars in that 10 miles.

I wish you'd reword what you say sometimes Eric.. bear in mind that some of us dumb motorists don't have much choice.

I realise that that there are some genuine exceptions, but I'd have to agree with the government's argument and also some people who voiced their opinions on the governments potential plans to introduce charges on heavy traffic roads, that there are too many people who simply don't want to leave the car at home for commuting because they're simply too bone idle!

I know quite a few that have less than what I travel to work each day, and take the car. Well, if they do so, then they should not complain about clogged roads, that they actively contribute to themselves. That's where my "dumbness factor" kicks in ;-)

Plus, my pet hate remains parents bringing their kids to school over distances of less than a mile (well almost any parent that brings kids to school; in my days, we simply walked, ergo, no clogged up roads :-) ). Just notice the difference between school times and half-term breaks.

Tempest

I wish you'd reword what you say sometimes Eric.. bear in mind that some of us dumb motorists don't have much choice.

I realise that that there are some genuine exceptions, but I'd have to agree with the government's argument and also some people who voiced their opinions on the governments potential plans to introduce charges on heavy traffic roads, that there are too many people who simply don't want to leave the car at home for commuting because they're simply too bone idle!

I know quite a few that have less than what I travel to work each day, and take the car. Well, if they do so, then they should not complain about clogged roads, that they actively contribute to themselves. That's where my "dumbness factor" kicks in ;-)

Plus, my pet hate remains parents bringing their kids to school over distances of less than a mile (well almost any parent that brings kids to school; in my days, we simply walked, ergo, no clogged up roads :-) ). Just notice the difference between school times and half-term breaks.

Tempest

The problem with most of these fantastic transport schemes are that they are only any good if you live in a city. I suppose one positive side effect of the eventual 'black box in your car' will be that if they thought about it; they could really hit people with a high rate, if they are only travelling less than a mile or two. (Mind you there exceptions to that to - disabilities etc)

15 minutes on foot... Sorry

Same here, 20 minutes on foot (smiling at the d*mb motorists stuck in the traffic jams on my way in) each way. Saves money and nerves galore AND I do something for the environment (I think the government should reward me for that, IF they take the environment sooo serious - so I can spend the cash on my C :-) ).

Tempest

I wish you'd reword what you say sometimes Eric.. bear in mind that some of us dumb motorists don't have much choice. I could take the bus but I know for a fact that I beat that by well over 40 minutes in the car, and cycling 8 miles down choked A Roads in the lashing rain just isn't my idea of a good time :(

Only other option is to move closer to work which I must admit keeps crossing my mind more frequently with each passing day.

I live in a village in S Wales and work in a village on the outskirts of Bristol. The likelihood of there ever being any decent public transport that will get me to work in the 15 mins it takes me to drive is little to none!!

118 miles total round trip if in the office (not in the C) - its strange but i kinda like it. I'll be working from home most of the time soon and i'm sure i'll kinda like that better

106 miles a day, all in the C.

Just a matter of time til something breaks....again...

I was similar when i first started this job and put 20K miles on my 60K car, the fuel pump went on the way home then i got a brand new company vehicle.

Those journeys to work and back were excellent however - big grin all the time

I've done 40k in 15 months in my blue G60 - glad its going to a new home on Saturday where it will lead a gentler life. In all that time it needed two new tyres and a set of pads, plus the usual oil changes, sold it for £400 less than I bought it for - that to me is pretty cheap motoring

i do about 30 to 60 a day as i drive round different sites fixin stuff .... with a sh@t load of tools and a twelve ft ladder in the boot {belive it or not} fueled {recently} on maxwell house {just add hot water} coffee sash things... started with that trinny and susan stuff but maxwell house pound cheaper. 1.8 16v not bad on juice too

The problem with most of these fantastic transport schemes are that they are only any good if you live in a city. I suppose one positive side effect of the eventual 'black box in your car' will be that if they thought about it; they could really hit people with a high rate, if they are only travelling less than a mile or two. (Mind you there exceptions to that to - disabilities etc)

Quite right. And don't get me wrong, i don't like every aspect of the government's proposal, but I do think it's worth trying, as without doing anything, things are bound to get worse, with more cars coming onto the roads, as in the future it seems that even every dog will also have a car :lol:

Where the governmenbt are, of course, once again taking the easy option is in NOT analysing why people have to drive that much:

OK, you could argue, move closer to your work, which in the past was a valid argument. In today's world of threats like globalisation and resulting job loss, one either has to constantly be prepared to move houses, or travel to work, as there is no more job for life (unlike in most of our parents' days). So the good old government might also do us a favour by encouraging companies to first of all move out of London, and get jobs into the rest of the country, then get companies to set up base where the people live, not in the f*cking middle of nowhere, where you then inevitably get huge traffic jams caused by commuters.

Plus the government really should do more about that traditional British lame duck, called public transport. There has to be an alternative for car-usage.

All these points still do not change my opinion about lazy sods too bone idle to leave the car behind and walk/cycle into work, where the distance would allow them to. It's those people where I whole-heartedly agree to hit them where it hurts most, in their wallets. That also includes those myriads of parents driving their off-spring to school. That should be banned!

Tempest

Hi coolrado,

I live in holt just outside wrexham. That is one of hell of a commute down to tewkesbury how long does it take you.

Am considering a job offer in liverpool which a 70 mile round trip. Nothing compared to your daily trip

2 hours in the morning 2 1/2 on the way home, used to work in runcorn which only took 30 mins until the company was bought out and moved to the new head office in tewkesbury, not having much luck finding affordable property anywhere near tewkesbury though might have to start looking for local work which is not going to be fun either.

hi coolrado,

Am going to possibly be out of work soon, so am considering anything at the moment. Not the best time of year to be out of work!

Thats why I am considering selling the corrado and using the golf gti.

Have an interview in speke, so from my home in Holt would be going round runcorn. What is the road like round runcorn to speke?

hi coolrado,

Am going to possibly be out of work soon, so am considering anything at the moment. Not the best time of year to be out of work!

Thats why I am considering selling the corrado and using the golf gti.

Have an interview in speke, so from my home in Holt would be going round runcorn. What is the road like round runcorn to speke?

depends what time you get there, from runcorn to speke with quiet traffic is about 20 mins but at rush hour it can be anything from 30 mins to an hour as the traffic backs up a bit for the runcorn bridge and if the roadworks are still on the bridge at j12 for runcorn on the m56 it will probably add 20 mins during rush hour, i reckon it would take about an hour and a half to get from holt to speke in steady rush hour traffic.

I used to do 50 miles each way (Tewkesbury to Bristol) in the VR.

Petrol costs were bad enough but when you add in a service every few months and more tyres etc etc it was silly.

Then again with 2 up in the car it was about evens with taking the train £1600 each = £3200 annual rail fare....

Ended up moving to Bristol. Now only 6 miles away but it takes me just as long to get in, unless it's summer and I ride me bike.