Sign in to follow this  
Bups

VR Timing Chains

At what mileage should you ideally replace the timing chains on a VR? As it stands the car has done 144k and has history till 130k, the engine feels tough and it pulls very well.. When i started it yesterday and held revs at 3k you can hear a slight noise that isnt constant but kind of comes and goes away..

How much does it cost to have these replaced and whats involved?? Any help will be appreciated..Thanks

I think normally people do the chains around 100K, although some would say leave them till they need doing. Its around £750 to get the chains and clutch done at the same time professionally as far as I'm aware.

I'm sure someone else will come along with more info shortly. Check out the serch as well, there is loads of info on this subject about.

People normally do the chains when they start clattering (loudest at ~1200rpm)..

Though anytime from 100k onwards if they've not been done you would do well to get them checked out, even if they're not rattling.

But don't jump in with your chequebook until you know it needs doing ...

You dont actually change the chains, just the tensioners really as they are flimsy plastic and they wear causing the chains to rattle ;)

Im sure Ive heard the £500 mark mentioned too.

You dont actually change the chains ...

I'm quite glad you're not MY mechanic!![/quote:42f1a]

Yeah, if you change the tensioners and guides but not the chains you'll find the timing won't be spot on and you will also risk them failing at a later date.

Err, yeah you'd be stupid not to change the chains while your there...

As with any chain they stretch and will slowly pull the timing out, I have also heard of a few cases of them snapping but admitedly this is on high mileage cars and is probably due to them starting to wear against the rivets in the original tensioners...

Ok ok sorry for breathing! All I was trying to point out was that its the tensioners that wear, not the chains!! Maybe I didnt put it across very well.