Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

need a new windscreen

just drove home from work,an the car in front flicked summat up right into my windscreen,its not chipped but cracked half way across the passenger side :mad:

anybody know how long it takes the insurance to get it replaced?i'm with brentacre if that helps

the insurance comapny normaly just tell you to phone the recommended supplier, RAC or Autoglass and then you pay them the excess and arrange the fitting date, couple of days max!!

Andy

Bad luck mate...........

If you want my advise tho, stay with the car when they do the job, even more so if it's autoglass!!!!

They have done a good job now, but due to not getting the seal right they had to do it twice (smashed the 1st new windscreen when trying to remove and re-seal it!!!) Also if i hadn't been there i reckon the would have scrathed the SH1T outta my paintwork!

Apparently its not an easy job on Corrado's, so good luck.

Neil.

it is actually quite straight forward on a corrado the problem is most fitters dont do it correctly, they just bond the screen in and then put the outer seal in and wait for it to set, the problem with that is that the combination of gravity and the outer seal push the screen down and leave a gap around the top of the screen, what they should do is bond the screen in then fit the lower plastic trim before it sets as the screen has plastic wind deflectors on either side which actually rest on the lower plastic trim holding it in the correct location and then fit the outer seal.

you can usually go to the windscreen place and ask them if they deal with your insurance company and then just hand over £50 excess, also ask for a OEM VW screen as most fitters will order one in for you.

just rang insurance comp,they give me the number of who they deal with (rac)

and i'm booked in for tuesday afternoon sometime,just waitin for a fone call,also they asked if it was the rare screen we the tint across the top?mines just plain,wish i'd said tinted now :lol:

Hows about if if you screen is tatty and has got one fairly sizeable chip in but not bad enough to fail an MOT.

Can i still take advantage of the windscreen excess without having to damage it further??

Hows about if if you screen is tatty and has got one fairly sizeable chip in but not bad enough to fail an MOT.

Can i still take advantage of the windscreen excess without having to damage it further??

I thought the usual course of action was a hammer.

I think it was Kev advising people on here a few years ago to say its a top tint screen?

I had mine replaced on the insurance. When I called she asked if it was tinted-top, to which I said 'no' wishing I'd said yes. She called back the day after and said they could only source tinted glass...I was well pleased. I think you could request tinted but it'll cost extra.

Check it thoroughly after they've done it. Mine went to Autoglass at 10am, they hadn't called back by 4.30, and I needed the car to get home. A colleague dropped me off at autoglass at 5 to 5 and all but one off them had gone home. There was glass all under the seats and sealant smeared all along the inner trim - particularly the top edge. It didn't leak - but I wasn't too pleased.

Good luck!

@ Goldie - they'll try repair the chip first (free), if its too bad they'll do the screen.

just had a message on me answer fone from the rac just confimin that my "volvo corada" is booked in for tuesday afternoon

volvo corada :lol:

well got it fitted 2day............................they give me the tinted top one :D i asked them how much the screen was an they said over a grand!!!thank fook it was covered on the ins!!

an i'm amazed how much clearer things are we a new screen :lol:

Aye, thats well and truly passed its best.

Did they ask you whether you wanted the tinted top or did you ask for it and was there any extra charge for it???

when i rang they asked if mine was the tinted one,i said no,although its got a green tint to the glass anyway,but i got the top tinted one anyway so all is good :D

Good stuff greeny :)

Mine's stonechipped to hell - nothing major, but you get a lovely sparkling effect whenever it's in direct sunlight. Lovely. It might get damaged soon...

If you do get it done - make sure you take the car to them and leave it with them all day.

The screen is bonded in and needs time to set - if you move the car before it's fully set then you'll push the screen out of place and won't get a good seal on it.

I had mine done by Auto Glass and they where utterly utterly useless! :-(

They put so much bonding glue in that they stuck the dash and the plastic trim inside the window to the body work and the window (meaning I had to cut it all off when I tried to take my sunroof out last summer!) there was also lumps of bonding glue sticking out inside the car from around the trim.

Then the first time I took the car up to 70mph the trim started to pop out at both sides! :mad: turns out he had used double sided tape to hold it in, so after calling Auto Glass the woman asked if I could bring the car in to have it looked at! After a quick rant she agreed to send the man out in his van to me so they could fix it properly... However "fixing it properly" just involved more...... yes you've guessed it... Bonding glue! so much it now has lumps outside the window as well as inside.

I gave up at this point as I was worried that further complaining on my part would mean my car getting bonded to the ground :-(

You have been warned!!

Oh I did get a tinted top screen out of them though as that was all they had left :-)