Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

What does a throttle body damper do?

yup, stops the throttle slamming shut and stalling the engine in the process... 8)

was looking at the tb i got for the 16vt. its a vr vento one i think. its got the damper. i presumed same as you to stop the engine dropping off and the engine having to catch it. smoother transition to idle.

the dam went well mate by the way

yup, stops the throttle slamming shut and stalling the engine in the process... 8)

Hmmm......

That'll be why mine keeps stalling since my new one was fitted yesterday then. The damper is still attached to the old one, and there wasn't one on the enlarged TB!

yup, you go from "ooh, lots of air, let's throw lots of fuel in" to "Whaaaa, someone's just throttled me!" in a split second and the ecu just can't react fast enough to get the fuelling right (or metering head if it's KE-Jet) so the car stalls... some ECUs (such as digipants for example) are slow enough that it takes them a little while to notice, (mainly due to where the sensors are located) so they don't suffer as much and may not need a damper... ;)

was looking at the tb i got for the 16vt. its a vr vento one i think. its got the damper. i presumed same as you to stop the engine dropping off and the engine having to catch it. smoother transition to idle.

the dam went well mate by the way

Oh yeah! How was it mate? Blinding I should imagine?

I'm going later today! :)

I would wind the damper up (13mm spanner from underneath) as far as it will go just before it starts to life the throttle of it's stop. It will 'catch' a lot earlier and give the injectors and idle valve more time to adapt to the sudden vacuum.