Sign in to follow this  
markievw

Battery Chargers

Hi

I own a corrado VR6 that I use only occasionally in the winter. Does anybody have any experience of using these trickle battery chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter? There are some solar powered ones, and one that plug into an electrical socket.

Was wondering how effective they were? How do they charge the battery?

Do they do any possible damage to the cars electrics?

hi andy665

cheers for that mate, do they plug into the cigarette lighter. Ideally, like one that does to save opening the bonnet all the time

Probably not, but there is an optional lead you can buy that allows you to place a charging socket anywhere you like on the car.

With a charger by Airflow UK you do not have to keep opening and shutting the bonnet, thus saving the bonnet release mechanism - another weak point of the Corrado, it would seem.

I bought mine a few weeks ago after reading about it on a classic car forum.

It allegedly has circuitry which makes the whole set up efficient and safe.

You can buy a cigar lighter connection (£10) as I did, but I am not using it.

The reason is that, as standard, you are supplied with a lead which can be permanently and securely attached onto the battery. This lead can be fed out from under the closed bonnet and you plug the charger's lead into it.

When I take the car out I tuck the battery lead under the bonnet's leading edge. You would have to protect it with a cover tho' if you take car out in the wet. A bit of electrical tape would suffice.

Cost including postage was £53.99 (or £10 less if you do not go for cigar lead.)

Airflow UK are in Faringdon, Oxon and have a website

I bought the Halfrauds trickle charger for £20ish (can't quite remember). Comes with two sets of cables to plug into it, one with crocs, one with ring crimps for a more permanent set up.

Not normally impressed by Halfrauds but this time I have to admit they were spot on!