Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Is it a bad idea to sell a car this close to Christmas?

Evening all,

Looks like the C's gonna be off the road for a bit again, so i'm thinking of selling my inherited rover 25 and getting something better.

This rover's really starting to annoy me, the steering wheel's not central to the drivers seat, it steams up every time I step in a puddle, and i'm not even gonna start on the "stepspeed" auto box :mad:

But, is there much point in spending money on advertising this close to Christmas? I want rid, and I'm seriously thinking about an Alfa 156, but I'm just wondering whether I should hold out til January when everyone's stopped spending money on xmas, and starts spending money on other things!

Or does it make no difference.

Any thoughts?

vr6storm' date=' :lol: Soon be 40 mate :wink:[/quote']

wouldn't be seen dead in one of em.....not a patch on an Allegro matey :wink: ........drove far far too many of them when they were on "fleet" at Europcar

True, but i've learnt never to get annoyed with the elderly for driving them so slow, THEY CAN'T GO ANY FASTER!! :lol:

In another world, with a manual box and centred steering column, i'd make do with it, but no.

To the right person, it'd be great, it's on a 52 reg with only 8500 miles, so with a bit of luck i'll get some good cashish for it.

Anyone want to buy a Rover 25 by the way? ;)

when is it a good time to buy a rover 25 though

:lol: - That's a fair point!

Jonny_L I'd deffinately say it would be worth waiting untill after christmas, I allways end up selling cars for alot less around this time of year. There are car dealers sat twiddling their thumbs all around the country at this time of year. It's by far the best time to buy though!

As for the "stepspeed" auto box ..is that the belt driven one? as in it has no gears but works on belt tension

I was gonna stick it up for £3900. Are you interested or just asking? If so I wish I hadn't slated it so much now :lol:

Walesy, You could be right, i'm not sure. It does this odd thing where when you put your foot down, it revs up, then sits at the same RPM as the car accelerates, as opposed to going through the gears like a normal auto. Quite odd really, but it seems to work.

It's tiptronic (aka stepspeed), but it'll change gear for you if you rev it too high anyway, and it's really slow at changing manually, so not much point to it!

its CVT...........so basically belts,it gives an infinate amount of ratios tho........pioneered by Daf in the 60's/70's...........

pricewise tbh you'll be lucky.........last of the rover 25's 05 plates are not much dearer if at all

why not try trading it in with a dealer for the alfa,,, this time of year they are desperate to shift cars,,,, and jan is a good time for dealers as they are pretty busy... tbh not sure you'll shift it easily in the private ads anyway...

but good luck

Yeah that price is o.n.o. really. This CVT thing sounds quite interesting, I always wonder whether it's good for the engine to be revving like that, it sounds like a clutch slipping. It'd probably be quite good if it had the power to back it.

I will have a goose at part ex, though i'm not actually planning on spending much more money than that so it could get interesting.

A good analogy of CVT is to imagine an elastic band being stretched to provide 'longer-legged' ratios as opposed to different sized cogs in conventional transmission. I think fire engines have CVT too. I drove a car with CVT once and it felt to me like the clutch was slipping as well.