Sign in to follow this  
Bups

Best Oil for a VR6

Its normally associated with the oil getting past your piston rings and/or valve seals. Results in white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

RSVR6, you are forgetting one thing.....you have a 2.8 SLC, I assume?

Everyone knows it's a 'tighter' engine than the 2.9 euro lump.

My recommendations are based on the context of our regional cars, not yours. And it's easy to say you have no issues when you're 10,000 miles away and can't prove it. There is no way a 0 weight oil will be consumed at a slower rate than a 10 weight, it's basic physics. You can believe all the cr@p Mobil spout all you like :lol:

RSVR6, you are forgetting one thing.....you have a 2.8 SLC, I assume?

Everyone knows it's a 'tighter' engine than the 2.9 euro lump.

My recommendations are based on the context of our regional cars, not yours. And it's easy to say you have no issues when you're 10,000 miles away and can't prove it. There is no way a 0 weight oil will be consumed at a slower rate than a 10 weight, it's basic physics. You can believe all the cr@p Mobil spout all you like :lol:

You do know that the 0w is @ startup temp right? Then the viscosity goes to 40 when at running temp. It dosen't consistently run at 0w.

Well tell me where you get your findings...until then...all you doing is spouting cr@p. :D

please dont shout at me, (great thread by the way, have always wondered about the great oil debate - ill be going for the silky 10/50 stuff me thinks) but what is "blow by" and should i be asking my girlfriend for one?

Thanks.. i didnt think i'd get this many replies though, thanks again for all your comments guys...:)

The crazy Germans who serviced my car 2 months ago whacked in some funky 5w 30 stuff! Obviously, since having the invoice translated I've got myself down to VW, got another oil filter and sump-bung and got some Castrol 10w 40 and I'm doing an oil change tomorrow!

The Silkolene Fuchs Pro S 10w 50 is very very good imo, i've used it for about 2 years now and the car runs & pulls a lot more smoothly on it and there's less engine noise! :)

please dont shout at me, (great thread by the way, have always wondered about the great oil debate - ill be going for the silky 10/50 stuff me thinks) but what is "blow by" and should i be asking my girlfriend for one?

just about to get my vr6 serviced, its just gone past 160,000miles, hasn't really had any work done on the engine, it still drives very well, is a little noisy though, tapping/chattering noises at about 2-3k rpm, doesn't seem to be from the chains and isn't a major problem just getting old

is there any problem with switching to Silkolene PRO S 10W-50 now, as recommended alot in this thread

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-silkol ... gines.aspx

£71.05 for 10 litres, but the engine using a far bit at the moment so could work out cheaper, worth a try for a year?

Its normally associated with the oil getting past your piston rings and/or valve seals. Results in white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

oil is blue coming out of tail pipe , white smoke is usually caused by a head gasket when the engines hot, but we all get white smoke with a cold exhaust system (ie. in the mornings especially at the moment )its life because an engine produces 1 gallon of water for every gallon of fuel burnt :)

and i also use fully synthetic ,sylkolene pro s 10w /50 and its noticeably better sounding engine

and lots of people mention the price , its roughly 35 to 40 pounds a gallon ,plus a filter so how much is a rebuild for the sake of good oil every 6 - 8k

tbh sounds like the Silky 10w 50 stuff would probably be perfect for you!

as per the post above my engine noise definitely dropped noticeably when i switched over to it from Synta Silver

just about to get my vr6 serviced, its just gone past 160,000miles, hasn't really had any work done on the engine, it still drives very well, is a little noisy though, tapping/chattering noises at about 2-3k rpm, doesn't seem to be from the chains and isn't a major problem just getting old

is there any problem with switching to Silkolene PRO S 10W-50 now, as recommended alot in this thread