Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

Tax disc holder doesnt stick properly

Hi - this is a stupid question I'm sure, but does anyone have tips on how to make sure your tax disc holder doesnt keep falling off? I have one of these fancy ones with an allen key to remove the back, which is supposed to be stuck to the glass with sticky pads.

Ive cleaned the glass and also tried replacement pads from halfords, but it still falls off.

What am I doing wrong?

Mine did this months ago, still not back on. Dunno where it stands with all the new computerised carry on as they know if you have or have not from your reg plate....anyone know???

mine fell off a few wks bk, got it held up with one of those rubber things that ur bonnet sits on that are pushed into the wings (sorry didnt know the rite name!). found a spare from mk mk2, dose the job nicly!

Cleaning it with what? you should use some sort of alcohol, like meths

Cheers for the tip - I had been using that new Flash window cleaner, which to be fair is a waste of money.

I think I'm going to struggle to find any spare alcohol over Christmas though!

try warming your car up first then sticking it on! mine used to fall off all the time during the winter!

Cheers mate.

With this tip and nocraps tip, I'll hopefully have it sorted soon.

i had one and it stuck for 5yrs without budging, that was using the pads that came with it, make sure you clean everything with white spirits first

Cheers for the tip - I had been using that new Flash window cleaner

No worries, you just need to take note of whats in them as some will have silicone in there. as yours wasn't sticking after using flash i'm assuming that it does contain it.

All window cleaner for cars will be silicone free and usually quite high in alcohol, but i'd still stick to meths.....white spirit seems to have a habit of leaving a "film" on the screen.....

i used vinegar to clean where the tax disc was gonna go, then used clear silicone to stick it on with (only a few little bits where the allen key bolts are) takes about 5 minutes to get it off every year..

i used vinegar to clean where the tax disc was gonna go, then used clear silicone to stick it on with (only a few little bits where the allen key bolts are) takes about 5 minutes to get it off every year..

sicone eh? excellent idea - if the other stuff fails i might have to give that a go