Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

URGENT - Need help confirming if struts are safe / normal ?

Hey all,

I need some fairly urgent help to determine if what I found today when under the bonnet of my G60 is normal and whether car is safe to be driven like this. Basically I lifted off the front strut covers and found this below.

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

Is is normal for there to be this gap between the top of the strut tower / housing and the actual top of the strut itself ? It is on boths sides of the front of the car.

I need to know this fairly urgently so if anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated so I can decide whether or not I can drive the car !

Cheers and thanks in advance,

BigTartanJudge

Should be able to drive it mate, they do look as though they are sitting a little higher than normal but that may be the foto. moight be worth changing them in the future tho, thay arent expensive !

Jimmi

on the second picture is that shaded section just colour difference on the rubber or has the rubber started to split , if its split then change the top mounts asap if not then dont worry to much about it mine are the same and i changed my suspension this year :x-mas:

The gap doesn't look too outlandish, nope. But if that is in fact a split TM, time to get it replaced. If it's just a split in the strut coating, then don't worry...

Just in from da pub, think the colour diff is a split in the top mount but got VR6 topmounts to go in in the New Year so all is good meanwhile I hope. Looks as tho may get my baby back tom after all then !

Cheers

Look at all that dirt? LOL sorry but could'nt help myself. Mine are exactly the same so i would'nt worry.

top one looks ok, bottem one needs replaced, basically replacing one, replace them both.....in a word they both need doing!! since they are directly linked to brakes and steering, I'd replace them like yesterday and avoid driving it like that. better safe than bent corrado, you'll mend the car wont :lol:

The second one appears to be completely McDonald-ducked.

Which makes the gap on the top one more suspicious.

Very normal, MOT failure if spotted, but still driveable.