Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Flat battery every feckin time :evil: Culprit found!

Corrado's just seem to love the leccy stuff eh :?

Im gonna bet on the volt regs not being much more expensive from vw...although i wonder if they can still get the original 14volt ones?

Neil.

Ahh well...should have known...it is a corrado after all...

Havent driven the car at all yesterday,needed to go out,go into the garage and the immobiliser light isnt lit up and neither is the dash...totally feckin dead again. :mad:

sounds like the alternator is shorting internally or the starter is doing the same i had this on mine once another thing i had was a bosch bat that broke down whe 2 of its cells shorted and it did the same i took it back they replaced it no probs no receipt either!

...you have to blip the throttle to put the battery light out.

Well that's just wrong. Sounds like something is seriously pulling some current off the electrical system.

Aye,its the gsf voltage regulaters that cause it,everyone i know who has one also has to blip the throttle... :(

With my mates alternater though (vw regulater 14 volt) you dont have to,but the problem is still there...

Was wondering about any relays that may be dodgy? whats this x relief jobby?

And out of the suggestions you guys have made,what do you think i should check next?

Cheers,Neil. :)

ok get yourself a 21 watt bulb ie a fog light bulb and solder 2 wires to it. now disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and put one wire to the terminal and one wire to the lead, if the bulb lights up you have a drain. now start unplugging fuses and relays one at a time untill it goes out, when it does you just need to check whats on the that circuit. if nothing goes out then try disconnecting things like the alternator and the starter and poss the wiper motor until it goes off. if when you connect it there is no light then its a battery fault. you may need to leave the bulb connected for a few hours and recheck it. hoe this helps

good luck

Getting somewhere :o

Disconnected earth lead from battery...

Stuck a 21w indicater bulb inline...and! it lit up brighter than the feckin headlights! :lol: :o

Pulled the fuses one by one...nothing until the last one on the right of the fuse box.

When i pulled it,the light went out,and there was a 'click' in the rear of the car...sounds like the leccy window relay i thought? When i stuck the fuse in/out it was clicking as i did it...

But once i reconnected the battery,tried the windows without the fuse and they still go up/down :?

So.....

What runs off the end fuse on the right guys? Its pulling a hell of a lot of sparky sparky :lol: Lit the whole town up!

Cheers,Neil.

Click inside, or outside?

Isn't it the central locking pump and gizmos which are in the back of the car - not leccy windows.

Sorry Andi,should have said...The clicking was coming from behind the drivers side rear 1/4 card where the leccy window relay bits are...

Weird eh? :?

Steve,cheers m8...Radio? :? mmmm,hope £300 quids worth of head unit aint died... :( cant be the stereo surely? or i hope not!

Why you think the leccy window ecu was clicking?

Cant understand it.

Cheers guys,Neil.

Yep last fuse is the radio's fuse, I used to have to replace this fuse every month on my rado. The aftermarket radio was the reason for most of the electrical/dead battery problems.

Damn :(

Whats the next plan of attack ya reckon then guys? Do the test again and pop the lead out of the stereo and go from there?

Checked my amp earlier tonight too just to make sure it wasnt permanently live and it checked out ok.

Neil.

yep if the fuse is radio then disconnect the radio and put the fuse back in, if light goes out then try another radio. if that still lights it up then you need to check the wiring. when you fitted the stereo did you use the iso connecters or connect into the loom. if into the loom disconnect one wire at a time. also is there an alarm on the car with total closure if so that could have a supply from the last fuse, if not drop down the fuse box and try and see some thing that shouldnt be there

just checked the wiring diag and the brown red wire goes to seat belt wiring control unit and back to the ignition switch. maybe try disconnecting these 2 as well to see if the drain stops

could be the infamous ign switch gremlin

And does that use the last fuse m8? and where is the brown and? red wire?

Cheers,will possibly have a look today...it was near when i bought the car that i fitted the stereo,so im not 110% sure on what i did...probably into the loom.

Thanks,Neil.

Sorted it :!:

cd changer lead :!: :p

Pulled it out of the changer which made no difference to the drain on the battery.

While it was still plugged in at the stereo end,wobbling the opposite end made the drain come and go...

Anyone got a cheap sony cd changer lead? :D

And cheers guys 8)

Neil.

Aye,too true! :p :lol:

Ive split the lead on the end and cant see anything obvious wiring wise apart from a broken earth pin on the side...possibly the cause of it.

Anyone know the full effect that this would have had on the G60? ecu/fuelling/spoiler etc...it just seems to drive a bit more steady :?

Cheers guys.

Neil.