Sign in to follow this  
balboa

IDILING PROBLEMS ON MK2 GOLF VR6

Hi guys, over the past week my mk2 vr6 seems to be having idiling problems, whilst im driving the the car doesn't seem to be as smooth as she should be, the best way i can describe it is that it feels lumpy and rough almost like the cars coughing, also as i start the car up the revs shoot up past 2000 revs but does come back down to normal after about 30 seconds...whilst the car is ticking over if i turn the lights on or the fan heater on the revs shoot down and the car stalls....anyone have any idea what could be wrong, any help abd advice is greatly appreciated....many thanks

also as i start the car up the revs shoot up past 2000 revs but does come back down to normal after about 30 seconds...

This is normal when it's

whilst the car is ticking over if i turn the lights on or the fan heater on the revs shoot down and the car stalls

This sounds like a battery/alternator problem, or even a short on one of the circuits you're talking about (lights/heater). Electrical load shouldn't kill the engine completely.

Shouldn't be holding 2000rpm for 30 seconds when started from stone cold, 2 or 3 at the most.

I'd take off the idle valve and give it a good clean out first and see how that goes.