Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

TomTom Satnav

My Girlfriend got me a TomTom One satnav for christmas... anyway to cut a long story short after setting it up it now no longer wants to boot up... i have tried everything to get it to work but i think it has a fault..

she got it from dixons.co.uk (dixons are online only now)... now i dont really want to wait a year for them to collect it and then send me a new one.. can i just take it back to my local Currys superstore and get an exchange there??.. they are part of the same chain arent they?

Yeah you may be able too...

Take the batteries out of you can tho and look for a factory reset procedure in the manual (may involve holding a button down when turning on etc..)

yeh done all that steve, these tomtom "ONE" units are a sealed so i dont wanna try and remove battery incase i invalidate the warranty...

there is a reset button on the bottom which is meant to reset the unit but this fails to work either....

dixon s are still in the high street just call dixons digital or some rubbish like that. my dads tom tom did exactly that, pc world wanted to send it way. i had to quote chapter and verse to get then to change it. never buy from pc world / dixons group....

Mine didn't work either :( . Was bought from Halfords and has now been more than 28 days since purchase with me being away over Christmas. Have to go in tomorrow and see if they will honour the exchange. After talking with TomTom it seems to be a fault with the SD card reader in the unit, so fingers crossed I get a working one eventually.

yeah mine seems to be the same problem..sd card reader error...

Currys dont deal with dixons customers either! bit stupid really as they always go on about how much of a big compnay they are yet a simply thing like returning goods is so difficult... i am gunna ask for a refund and get it cheaper at tescos!

mine you have to hold the reset button for abt 90 seconds for a full reset, only have to do this if it crashes though

halfords are doing tomtom 1 for 159.99 and tomtom go510 for 239.99 now !!

was tempted with the tt1 but not after reading this!

navman F20i is 149.99 with speed camera detectors loaded, and its a brand new 07 model with the same gps recvr as the tt units so should solve all their previous problems?

was tempted with the tt1 but not after reading this!

navman F20i is 149.99 with speed camera detectors loaded, and its a brand new 07 model with the same gps recvr as the tt units so should solve all their previous problems?

Dixons/Currys/PCworld are doing the Tom tom 510 with a traffic module for the same price (239.99), was thinking about one myself but wondering if these probs are with the Tom tom one only ?

if you have a laptop..costco are doing microsoft autoroute 2007 with GPS sensor for about £70 in vat iirc. thats about £30 cheaper than amazon

I bought a 510 from Hellfrauds yesterday for £239.00. It's a great bit of kit, the navigation is extraordinary and the handsfree for your phone is great as well. Plus I can connect my ipod up to it for full control.

Rant Time..... :lol:

Why do all the idiots with sat nav sit in the middle lane on teh bloody m-way? Does your Tom Tom say "continue down the M11 hogging the middle lane at 75"?????

Went past at least 5 of them Tuesday night on the way back from Standstead! Every one had a Lane 1-flash-3-fogs-1 fly past from me and did one move over? Did they Boglocks.......

PC World are doing the 510 for the same price, but you get a free traffic RDS unit and subscription (doesn't give a time scale) so I went for that :)

had my first trip today, went passed 2 Speed cameras and only one was known :-/

only did a 5 mile journey, but it seemed to keep up very well 8)

Just had a proper rant down the phone... didnt hesitate to collect my TomTom and send me a new one... so i spose thats a result sort of....

now all you have to worry about is how to tidy the wires up, mine looks like a spiders web now :

PC World are doing the 510 for the same price, but you get a free traffic RDS unit and subscription (doesn't give a time scale) so I went for that :)

had my first trip today, went passed 2 Speed cameras and only one was known :-/

only did a 5 mile journey, but it seemed to keep up very well 8)

So which one didn't it pick up and how fast were you going past it Dave? ;)

It didn't pick up the Truvelo outside Lord Bill's.

It got the one going upto Chinnor Rugby Club though

Had my TT 500 for about a year now, great bit of kit haven't been lost since buying it. Still tempted to upgrade to a new one though! :D

As for the speed cameras, DO NOT USE TOM TOM's OWN DATABASE!!! ITS PANTS!!!! (Sorry for shouting but it is...) :p

Instead goto http://www.pocketgpsworld.com and pay the small sum of £20, for this you will recieve access the their monthly updated database, which other than the odd roadworks camera is very very accurate, for one year.

Was thinking of hard wiring mine to the cigarette lighter and running the cable up behind the dash, anyone tried this, think it would work??

Hope that helps.

It didn't pick up the Truvelo outside Lord Bill's.

It got the one going upto Chinnor Rugby Club though

Ah yeah that's a new install.. it's only been there what somewhere between 5-10 years???

exactly what I thought, and before the Truvelo was there they had one of the first Gatsos (1994ish), so they've only had a camera there for over 12 years

So no one has any probs with the Tom Tom 510 apart from missed speed cameras, going to buy one tomorrow if thats correct ?

Will second the 510 being great kit.

And yes - use the pocketgps database, far far better. Can get it for free if you surf the waves of the torrents into the bay of the pirates... if you get what I mean ;)

(Or equally free if you work for Carphone Warehouse and the author knows you and has given you an unlimited subscription.. hehe).

I also have the RDS Traffic receiver, but am yet to actually receive any useful updates!? Anyone actually used it successfully? I've sat in a traffic jam on the M25 and it's said "Updated. No traffic problems to report." Thanks for that.. ;)

I've also nicked the Text-to-Speech stuff off the 910, and have that on my 510 too... hehe (but can't run that at the same time as the RDS TMC receiver - so have two SD cards, one 1gig one with the TTS stuff on and v6.1 firmware, and the original card updated to v6.5 to work with the TMC receiver -- you can't use the TTS on v6.5 ya' see!)

I too surf the torrent waves, so will have a look Andi.

whats the idea of the voice to text stuff? are you writing your autobiography on the M25?