Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Ralleye vs. Rado Lights

Ok, like all of us here I'm getting fed up of using my telepathic powers when driving at night. I'm pretty sure my headlights have got significantly worse since last winter, to the point where anything above the legal-posted limit is getting dangerous.

I was looking at a MkII Flog with a Ralleye headlight conversion as it drove past me this moring and it struck me the lights look very similar to the Rado ones... Now I know I've seen MkII Flogs with Rado lights so my question is....

Can you fit Ralleye lights into a Rado?

They seem to have a "proper" projector light and this would undoubtedly be better than Stockers/ Angels/ etc...?

7170102000.jpg

Trust me in stock form there are worse than rado lights. The good thing about them is they allow for HID's due to the projector set up. I have sen them fitted to a corrado before but not without major fab work.

I reckon they wont be a kick in the bum off.

Shape looks very similar, only way to tell would be get your hands on some and have a go.

If they do fit i hope VW have a got a lot in stock, could be a very popular mod.

I had a feeling g-man wouldnt be far away when that question came up.

When i came to G-werks for the open day i realised why you never see any Rallyes on the road - because they are all there!!!!!!!!!

Trust me in stock form there are worse than rado lights. The good thing about them is they allow for HID's due to the projector set up. I have sen them fitted to a corrado before but not without major fab work.

Bugger, I thought that might be the case, otherwise more prople here would have gone that route.....

Looks like its Angel eyes for me then... or new light units and those 80% Phillips X-treme bulbs.... and then maybe one of those uprated looms (but some of teh horror storied I've heard is putting me off those TBH).

Unless some-one else has any suggestions...

It was a good suggestion though.

What we need i some headlights from a newer car thall fit, but there arent any!!

A good quality headlight loom (properly insulated and protected from the elements) coupled with some decent bulbs is all you need to bring Corrado headlights up to scratch!

Jim Ok so I'll need some new lights (ouch there goes the Wallet again) and a "recommeneded loom" (any suggestions?), with a set of 50 or 80% bulbs then?

You could always try these....

What use a tea tray to block out the light on the road?? :pukeright::pukeleft: I'd have to drive with a paper bag over my head (my own opinion, obviously. I'm sure the owner loves it!)

that colf looks wrong!!! :lol: i remember seeing a rado with rallye lights once, didnt fit well on the wing side of the light, to big a gap and looked a bit silly

Theyre not cheap new.

Id expect you to paying around the £50 mark second hand (each) which is a lot more palletable.

A good quality headlight loom (properly insulated and protected from the elements) coupled with some decent bulbs is all you need to bring Corrado headlights up to scratch!

That helps but they're still not that great.

It's worth checking the condition of the reflectors behind the glass. After 12 years mine had gone yellow as the chrome plating started flaking off. And that is an MOT failure aswell.

The only option was to replace them with new ones at £95 each. Expensive, but worth it. I also use Osram silver star bulbs and an uprated loom. Main beam performance is good, plenty of visibility for fast B road driving, but the dipped beams are still sheeeite. There's too much of a difference between main and dipped. Ideally main and dipped should be just that, one's long range and one's short range.....but the dippeds are poo compared to mains, so you have to keep flicking between the two constantly due to traffic.

I've thought about HIDS but another member that's tried them and who is as fussy as I am doesn't rate them.

I'm not into changing headlight units, so we need something that will fit in the existing housings!

Are there not any uber quality, cost no object HID kits out there?

It's worth checking the condition of the reflectors behind the glass. After 12 years mine had gone yellow as the chrome plating started flaking off. And that is an MOT failure aswell.

That's exactly where I am ATM... Really need new reflectors before messing about with Bulbs & Looms...

Am I right in thinking Angels Eyes are only based on Early lights?

Will early headlights look wrong on my "late" valver??

i am looking into getting the inside markings of the glass flattened off so I have clear lenses, then either go HID, or something else to get the brightness.

Like the design of the rallye lights mind, a good starting point

PhatVr6 is putting ralleye lights in his corrado iirc, should come out good knowing his work!

Be glad your cars didn't come with the US spec candle power lights. When I switched over to the Euro spec ones...it was a night and day difference.

Also check the grounds for the lights...if they are dirty...it'll cause the lights to go dim.

Guy here in the states did the yellow ones.

DSC_0047_750.jpg

vwdeviant, I have a pair of good headlights with good condition chrome inners for sale - PM me or catch me on msn if you're interested 8)