Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

sub woofer?

im soon to be having a sony xplod sub-woofer with built in amp,thing is i have no idea how to wire it up,would it connect straight to my kenwood head unit?any help is much appreciated

Your going to need an amp wiring kit to hook up hook everything up. This will include a live cable, which you will have to run from your +ve battery terminal through the car to your boot. when you get it there attach it to your amp, and then you'll need an earth cable, which you attach from the amp to something that will earth it in the boot.

Thats the power sorted....and know you will need either RCA lead or high end input leads. These carry the sound to the amp from the HU. The kit should include an RCA lead, so run this down the middle of the car, (try and keep it away from live, interferance) and simply plug this into the amp.

That should be it if you only run the sub of the amp. Good luck anyways, it's a simple job...just remember not to put the fuse in the live cable until you have completed all of the wiring!! 8)

avatar.php?userid=406&dateline=1040751106

Not a dig at you - but this was drawn up by a Sony hating friend of mine! :D

Sorry - I had to post it!

I use a 10inch Xplod sub in a self-made box (to the correct cubic capacity - physics and maths being useful for once) powered off a bridged Xplod amp. Works lovely and will probably be the death of my spoiler with the vibrations :)

Dunno why your m8 has a problem with 'em.

They don't cost a bomb, so why expect amazing things? I'm more than happy with mine and its handled garage for 3 years now :D

Its backed up by some MTx Audio 6.5inch speakers in my parcel shelf. Good all-round sound. Not going to SPLs, just loud enough to enjoy and maybe turn heads :)

Make sure you plug the ground cable in first before the power cause i destroyed like 4 amps pluggin power in first. :mad:

And the earth lead should be as short as possible.

And route the signal and power cables seperatley through the car otherwise you might pick up noise from the alternator through the cables...

Iceman all amp wiring kits should have either a blade fuse or big gold plated cylinder fuse no more than 18" away from the battery if you're wiring up an amp you should disconnect this before hand so you dont blow anything up this makes more sense to me than connecting an amp up with the power supply being live!!! I ve done this before make lovely yellow sparks though when you do accidentally touch the ground and live together1!! :D

Is it possible to connect an active subwoofer into a receiver without a preout? For some reason my Onkyo receiver does not have a preout for an additional (or upgraded) active subwoofer. I was simply wondering if there is a way around this using the speaker hookups designed for the subwoofer. Thanks.