Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Need help on where you run hoses an oil cooler to a VR?

If you get stuck ill send you some picks of mine. Its mount diaganolly in the corner of the bumper, or you can mount it in front of the radiator.

Ok I changed the title cause I really need help with this.

I got the oil cooler kit and offered it up to the slam panel tonight and I cant see anywhere were I could mount it. I searched previous threads but no one really answered my question. Do I need to make up brackets? I looked in B&Q and I couldnt see what I needed. Can anyone direct me in the right direction.

Do I need to secure it in all 4 corners or can I just mount it with the top or bottom 2? Can I mount it with the pipes at the bottom. I have seen threads with it mounted to the radiator, how do I do this?

I am sorry for the 20 questions but I am stuck.

All help gratefully recieved!!

Nice thanks.

Did you make those brackets up yourself? Also what are those funny shaped spacers you have? Did you drill any new holes into the slam panel or use existing ones?

Thanks again

yea the brackets are home made and the spacers are rubber bobbins to stop fracturing of the cooler,and the slam pannel i just cut new holes out with a dremal.

So there are no predrilled holes to use then. I would go and look but as I am changing my rad at the moment the slam panel is off and I am not 100% sure which holes will still be usable once everything is bolted back on!

I didnt really want to drill new holes but if needs must.

How have people ran their oil cooler pipes? I had a look last night and I cant see how to do it unless I go under the rad and up. But this would mean cutting a small bit out of the crossmember.

CorradoVR6-n.o.s, did you cut anything out of your cross member. I tried looking for the holes you haev in your pictures that you ran it through and I cant see it on mine.!

Thanks

Yeah cooler is fine upside down as it's pressure fed.

Mine is in front of the main water radiator, held on with brackets I made myself.

The hoses come up vertically off the thermoplate with the OE coolant pipe that joins the OE cooler going through the middle of them. Then the two oil lines go along under the manifold, and come through to the mocal by the offisde headlight.

Make sure you tighten up the top cap tightly as they're prone to leaking.

Yeah cooler is fine upside down as it's pressure fed.

Mine is in front of the main water radiator, held on with brackets I made myself.

The hoses come up vertically off the thermoplate with the OE coolant pipe that joins the OE cooler going through the middle of them. Then the two oil lines go along under the manifold, and come through to the mocal by the offisde headlight.

Make sure you tighten up the top cap tightly as they're prone to leaking.

Cool. So did you drill some holes in the air ducting to the side of the rad? Or did it just route round ok. Its very squeezed in the engine bay. Apart from the mounting holes for the brackets did you need to drill anything else out for the hoses?

I wanted to mount mine in front of the rad as well. And I know this is stupid question but I always get confused. The offside is the passenger or drivers side?

Thanks again, I just need the car back on the road its been off for TOO long!

I've removed the plastic/rubber radiator side panels from mine completely, don't really need those at all tbh.

Yeah I had to drill a few holes for the mounting brackets but they're discreet and nothing else needed drilling or modifying.

Offside is driver's side mate.....it's an old English term. nearside meaning 'near' the kerb, or passenger side ;-) Offside is away from the kerb, LOL!

In front of Rad is best as it gets maximum air flow, but it works well elsewhere too.

I've removed the plastic/rubber radiator side panels from mine completely, don't really need those at all tbh.

Yeah I had to drill a few holes for the mounting brackets but they're discreet and nothing else needed drilling or modifying.

Offside is driver's side mate.....it's an old English term. nearside meaning 'near' the kerb, or passenger side ;-) Offside is away from the kerb, LOL!

In front of Rad is best as it gets maximum air flow, but it works well elsewhere too.

Well that makes sense, I feel like a right twit now!!

Strange its juut cause I seen your pics that you have posted of your install it looks like its next to the passenger side headlight, must just be me being stupid again.

Thanks for the advice. hopefully I will get this blasted thing sorted one day!

Don't worry about it, I still forget which way tightens bolts sometimes, clockwise or anti-clockwise, LOL!

My cooler is indeed next to the passenger head light as that's the only place that has enough space, due to the radiator rather unusefully coming across the slam panel at a silly angle.....but the hoses come round to it from the driver's side.

Don't worry about it, I still forget which way tightens bolts sometimes, clockwise or anti-clockwise, LOL!

My cooler is indeed next to the passenger head light as that's the only place that has enough space, due to the radiator rather unusefully coming across the slam panel at a silly angle.....but the hoses come round to it from the driver's side.

Cool, can I ask the reason why you went this route? Is there something dangerous about going round to the passenger side from the start and not from the drivers side?

I am concerned with it fouling on the rad fans more than anything.

It just seemed a good way at the time :-)

The hoses are miles away from the fan blades where I've routed them.

I didn't think to run them in from the battery side tbh, I probably looked and gave up cause it's tight round that side.

You could just pop it down in the arch where the G60 cooler normally lives, it will be a lot easier for you doing it that way.

It just seemed a good way at the time :-)

The hoses are miles away from the fan blades where I've routed them.

I didn't think to run them in from the battery side tbh, I probably looked and gave up cause it's tight round that side.

You could just pop it down in the arch where the G60 cooler normally lives, it will be a lot easier for you doing it that way.

its tight everwhere in a VR6 engine bay :lol:

The thought did cross my mind of putting it where the g60 intercooler is. But that seems more difficult than in front of the rad. I will have another look when I get home (as long as the car aint blown away!! :roll: ) I also like the idea of getting blow through from the rad fans.

Thanks for your help with this, getting near the end of my wits trying to get the car back up and running! HOPEFULLY things look a bit better soon