Sign in to follow this  
ewang33

G60 XVW Corrado.. finally rolled out (pix p3) >>

yeah thats the cross member you need. while your in there, change the engine mount and and give the water pump a good check, if you are doing some mode you might want to upgrade the thermostat will you have the front off. I'd also change the heat exchanger for the oil filter too as they are a know week spot.

With all the parts finally in front of me I quit cleaning stuff and made a big leap forward last weekend to get it running. I'm just waiting on one intercooler bracket now from G-werks, they lost the one I left them so they've ordered a new one from vag.. one less bracket I have to strip and paint anyway. 8)

After triple checking every pipe and most bolts I filled it with liquids and gave it a go. Took a few attempts to get going, timing was out at the dizzy and I hadn't plugged in the alarm. Luckily I decided not to rip out the original alarm loom before start up, I'll need to pull all that out and replace it with a new one as the remote fob and key have gone missing at some point.

It runs though! Albeit a tad lumpy and the idle is all over the place.. a few hours reading the Bentley and scouring the forums for fault finding write ups and fingers crossed it'll be good enough for a trip down to G-Werks for a final tweek.

I think the alternator has seen better days after being stored so long, if anything at all it's reading near zero on the ammeter.. so thats another 100 bucks I haven't got.. brilliant. :???:

The charger is loud as a mo fo without the airbox installed, whistling and whining like something annoying.. love it!

Just the back shocks, brakes and bearings before being mobile again after over a year in storage.. even German cars don't like sitting doing nothing half their life. When I'm happy it's running ok it'll be back in the garage for an interior strip and major paint detail. The back seat still has a big rip in it, the stereo is none existent and the old alarm needs replacing properly. Besides, the interior needs a good scrub and taking it all out is the only way really.. just seats, carpet and door cards though.

Hopefully this will be the last update before getting it back on the road!

Some pix...

Arse shots:

IMG_0757.jpg

::::::::::::::::::::::::

IMG_0751.jpg

Lets hope it stays this way for a few more years..

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

A couple of lights and a grill to go..

IMG_0729.jpg

Rear axle overhaul..

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Wish it would stay that mileage!

IMG_0741.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic.. that engine bay looks showroom fresh!

Got nothing but admiration for you guys who just roll your sleeves up and get stuck in doing all this sort of stuff.

Few more pix I forgot to add last month on here...

IMG_9916.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

Man, that looks fantastic!

How much did you pay for the crossmember?

Is everything else new - pulleys etc or did you powdercoat?

Man, that looks fantastic!

How much did you pay for the crossmember?

Is everything else new - pulleys etc or did you powdercoat?

Cheers m8, just hope it stays this clean this time 8)

The cross member came from a guy on here a few months back. Only slightly better condition than my original but a few de-rust baths, coats of zinc etch primer and chasis black and it turned out pretty good.

I've spent half my life buying and testing different products for rust and finishing, hence the MG in the background. Most of the parts have been spray can jobs then put in a low bake oven (when house mates aren't in). As long as the prep is good, the paint will stick well and be tough as the metal itself.

Yeah no probs.. I'll dig out some more pix and post up a how to thread.

I basically get all my paints and supplies from http://www.frost.co.uk

A bit expensive for some of their products but they do get shipped over from the states. The Eastwood line of paints are pretty amazing when it comes to durability. Makes Hammerite look like poster paint!

Most of the components like the pulleys and rough cast brackets can be wire brushed down to bare metal, as they're dip coated originally. These don't need rust treatment, just a few light coast of Zinc Etch Primer (Halfrauds) then whatever colour top coat you want. I mostly used Eastwood Chassis Black, dries very hard, especially when cured after normal engine operation.

The rad support has a hollow section running through it, so it's impossible to get inside to de-rust. Here I spent half the day wire brushing all the outer rust off using a wire cup attachment on an angle grinder. Once down to bare metal you can dip the whole section in a rust treatment solution like Dinitrol Converust in a large plastic container for a few hours. This gets into the hollow section nicely. After that, more Zinc Etch Primer and Chassis Black will give you a finish much more durable and longer lasting than the original finish.

For the pulleys, Eastwood do a Detail Grey paint that is the same colour as freshly cast or machined steel. Not as good as zinc plating but much cheaper and less hassle..

Hope this gets you started :)

Finally rolled it out last weekend.

Pasted the mot without any bother, although the clutch slave cylinder has just decided to die :roll:

Another weekend in the garage it is then.

Yes I know she's running a little high on the back at the mo..

Took some pix though..

IMG_2730_800.jpg

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

IMG_2719_800.jpg

IMG_2713_800.jpg

IMG_2708_800.jpg

IMG_2707_800.jpg

IMG_2704_800.jpg

IMG_2695_800.jpg

IMG_2693_800.jpg

IMG_2691_800.jpg

IMG_2682_800.jpg

IMG_2681_800.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

:shock: looks awsome ewang - nice to see its finished and your now gunna enjoy her, best of matey - I'm sure I'll see you around soon 8)

Ewan, looks really nice! Good to see it's out (even if only briefly!) Will look forward to seeing this around next year!

What Steering wheel is it? Looks like Momo Racer? Had one in my old Rocco, greatest wheel I ever held!

Cheers guys, yeah I can't wait for the show season to start next year.. did every show this year without a car :?

BigTartanJudge - was haggling for ages to get the plate with the car, glad I did now!

DUB - hiya Russ, yeah it'll be good to catch up with you and everyone on here.

vwdeviant - yes Momo race or something, not too big not too small 8)

That looks absolutely incredible mate. You've just brought me back from thinking about selling mine.

Having spent ages doing this one up, I kinda understand why people get miffed off and sell them. But it's the same with any old car, stick with it mate!

I keep reminding myself.. these cars were nearly £20k when new over 16yrs ago!!

And still loads better looking than some of the new crap out there!

word

ew

Very nice but 1 bit of constructive criticism, you need some yellow coned speakers in the doors to compliment the yellow horn button. 8)