Sign in to follow this  
Twiss

TOW Bar Yes a Tow bar -- UPDATED

Well I am ashamed to ask this but yes the past owner fitted a tow bar to the corrado......Now that I've had the car 9 months and have got to a stage where I can attept to remove it I Thought I would ask u lot how you think it could of been fixed to the car?

Just a few thoughts before I go to remove it!! cos knowing my luck I'll get the bumper off and find its been welded to the car !!!

And just out of couristy am I the ony person to have this problem with a corrado?

Thanks Vaughn

theres a few different ways so best to just take off the bumper like you say and have a look. taking off the bumper will only take 5 mins

No your not the only one on here to have a tow bar on their Corrado, I thought I was :oops: Previous owner installed it too :lol:

Anyway it all depends on the type of tow bar it is? Does it come through a hole in your bumper or does it come out from underneath it?

Mine comes through a small hole in the bumper so I can't take the bumper off until I remove it, as the hole is only as big as the shaft :roll: and won't slip over the knob :lol: if you get what i mean? (and I am talking about the tow bar and bumper here) :norty:

So I had a quick looky underneath the car and it seems it's connected to a frame that has been installed to mount the tow bar onto. Mine is only a matter of removing these bolts to remove the actual tow bar itself and leaving the frame there for now should i ever want to put it back.... not likely.

If yours is attached to the frame and you need to remove this as well you'll need to either remove the bumper or get it raised to give yourself a bit of room to work.

i was going to buy Big-Ted's valver in the summer and that had a tow bar!!! i think that one was welded to something!!! and popped out from under the rear bumper, so there was no damage to it.....

good luck :)

Well the tow bar comes though the rear bumper, a nice square chunk has been cut out of it. Spoiles the rear end of the car.

Well the tow bar comes though the rear bumper, a nice square chunk has been cut out of it. Spoiles the rear end of the car.
It will more than likely be a genuine VAG tow bar (over £700 fitted by VW :shock: ). Most of the non VAG ones do not need any bumper mods. Shame VW didn't think of that. I have fitted/removed a non VAG one and it was easy, just remove the four rear bumper bolts and the whole lot will slide out. HTH

Sounds like the same as mine, only mine has a nice tidy round hole which I will fill with a gromit till I get the chance to get it fixed properly.

But the plus side iis if it is the same as mine it should be easy to remove, just the bolts really.

I bought a genuine tow bar (secondhand, I hasten to add - cost me £100 + postage) as at one stage it looked like the only way of keeping the car, but fortunately the wife relented and we bought a family car and I kept the Corrado as my daily driver.

I've never fitted it because

a) it requires a hole to be cut in the bumper and

b) it weighs 15kg!

c) I obviously don't need it now.

Anyway, it is a sodding big bar that bolts to holes already in the chassis ready to accept it, so if you are lucky and it is one of these it should just unbolt.

Given that the Corrado has holes for a bar (as mentioned above) I would be very surprised indeed if yours was welded on.

Ok so hopefuly all I need to do is remove the bumper and/if remove the any bolts holding the tow bar on.

right where are the bolts located for the rear bumper?

If it's easy then I'll do it one evening.

Thanks For all your help so far.

Vaughn

Well on satureday I set about removing the rear bumper from the car. it was an easy job to do.

I thought I would mention that once you have removed the four 17mm bolts from underneath the car there may be two more 17mm bolts located in the BOOT, 1 in each corner towards the rear lights under the trim. I will post pics of the two extra bolts when I get time.

On a good note now I have removed the tow bar (and left a nice square hole in my bumper) the car feels lighter and smother when driving.