Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

Was the Corrado the first car to have...............

A lot of the new Audi's and Porsches have speed activated spoilers - but was the Corrado the first production car to have one?

I would say no.

I don't know what car has had one before the Corrado but I would put good money on the porkers doing it first.

Yeah I was thinking that too - but nobody has ever answered this - Corrado is only car I've ever regularly seen (before I had one :roll: ) to have this gizmo!

This is interesting. It occurs to me that even now the list of cars with "active" spoilers is still fairly small. The cars I could think of (in rough date order) were:

o Porsche 911 (starting with the 964 model onwards)

o Corrado

o McLaren F1

o Mitsubishi 3000GT Turbo

o Chrysler Crossfire

o VW Beetle 1.8T (it has a little active roof spoiler)

o MacLaren Mercedes SLR

o Bugatti Veyron

I've discounted cars like the F40 & Enzo, which change thier aerodynamics at speed by lowering the suspension automatically. They don't move any bodywork surfaces.

That's all the ones I could think of. Can anyone think of any more?

new TiTty has an active spolier too......

on firsts, what about the supposed 'traction control' where the brakes apply slightly if front wheels slip...?

the mitsubishi gto has active front and rear spoilers . shame VW didn't give us an active front one we could then lift it to get over stupid speed bumps.

the mitsubishi gto has active front and rear spoilers . shame VW didn't give us an active front one we could then lift it to get over stupid speed bumps.
:lol:

The Lancia Thema 8.32 had an active spoiler in 1987 (I have the Motor roadtest on it somewhere), so I believe this was the first...

hmmm what year did kitt get super pursuit mode?
:lol: :lol:

about 1986 I think!

That's what I call the spoiler button! Super pursuit mode.

If they hadn't built the C on stilts then maybe they would have :lol:

The rear wing on the SLR does indeed rise under heavy braking, but it's not an air brake per se. It's purpose is to move the centre of pressure of the car rearwards under heavy braking to make the car more stable.

The rear spoiler on the MacLaren F1 was there for the same purpose, but on the F1 the driver also has the option to deploy the spoiler manually (does this sounds familiar) to aid traction.

I'm not sure if the SLR has the option to deploy the spoiler manually or not. It's a possibility given that MacLaren built both cars, but unlike the F1 the SLR has a traction control fitted so maybe it's not necessary have have a manual option.

.... I've answered the question but I'm not sure I'm any wiser!