Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Spark Plugs and HT Leads

I just paid £65 for a set of HT Leads and spark plugs for my 2L 16v. Is that about the right sort of price? Seems a bit pricey to me, must be getting old I guess :lol:

That doesnt seem all that bad to me depending on what make the leads are.

I paid 90 quid just for the leads along on my VR.

Yeah, would say it should be around £40 for the leads and £20 for the plugs.

Went into halfords to ask how much a set of bosch leads would cost, reply was £135!!

Sounds about right. I bought some Beru leads from VWSpares and they came to about £67 delivered. Beru is basically OEM so...

£45.54 + delivery for coilpack vr6 ones, is that good as i could do with a new set?

Yeah thats a good price..

sorry for a bit of thread hijacking but when looking at ht leads is it worth going for these high spark output ones, can't remember what they're called..... but they have dual paths and a supposedly better spark

I know on old aircooleds it used to be popular to go for flame-thrower high output coil and leads to get a bit of life into the old engines! :onfire:

I've got a coilpack VR6 if that makes a difference....

I got mine from VW spares which is the same as in your link nocrap. They are the Beru ones like Jim mentioned. Sounds like they're about the cheapest around after all. I'll let you know if they're any good! Mic_VR afraid I don't know about these high spark leads so can't help. I guess if they do give a better spark they might be worth it, price is a bit of an issue for me at the mo tho as so many things need replacing!!

Price is more of an issue with me now, too.

Do we not replace components like plug leads a bit too soon in the belief that a new set must improve things?

My 1995 VR6 is still on original leads and I see no reason to replace them as there are no misfires or faltering and fuel consumption is good.

Have read various pseudo scientific babble about copper breaking down in leads, etc, etc. Probably spread around by manufactures?

Any informed views on this?

Coil packs do deteriorate by 10 years at least and I have certainly renewed that as you could actually see with your own eyes why the thing was not working as it should have been.