Sign in to follow this  
soupie69uk

How reliable has your G60 Corrado been?

I have fancied one of these for ages but always think they may be unreliable.

Is there any truth in this?

What problems have you guys had with yours and what are the worst things that can happen?

Say the charger went how much is a rebuild for both standard and say uprated?

Also how often does the charger service have to be done and whats the cost of this?

Cheers guys.

so far its been the most reliable car i have owned (apart from blowing the head gasket a couple of weeks ago).

charger is meant to last around 60k between rebuilds but may be better to get it done a little more often, also a growing number of people are swapping the g-lader charger for a more modern charger like a BBM, Lysholm or Eaton charger as A: it seems you can get them a lot cheaper B: they can give more power without going pop and C: some prefer the noise they produce

although the initial conversion costs for fitting a different charger can be a bit expensive if buying all the kit off the shelf the running costs should be lower in the long run.

as long as they are serviced regularly and well looked after they are a very relliable engine and quite easy to work on.

some members have clocked up over 250k on the original engine with few problems.

it also seems that the problem with blown headgaskets was known by VW as the replacement head gaskets they supply are now all metal rather than fibre with metal inserts.

there is quite a bit of info in the knowledge base that you may find usefull

I had one for a year and it never missed a beat. Started every day, ran perfectly every day...

The engines on the G60's are generally solid - it is essentially the 1.8 golf GTI engine with a supercharger bolted on! The supercharger is definately its achillies heal HOWEVER the g-charger will not let you down if its properly maintained! Frequent oil changes are advised (every 5,000 miles for example) and properly warming the car up AND down again will all help keep the charger in good shape.

A brand new supercharger from someone like G-Werks is under £1000... 2nd hand rebuilt ones can be sourced for around £600?

Charger overhauls - depends on how many miles its done and certain pulley sizes. If it is running the standard pulley then reccommended inspection / rebuild interval is approx 60,000 miles. This starts to fall as smaller pulleys are fitted - a 68mm for example, you should get the charger checked every 25,000-30,000 miles.

edit - ah... beaten to it ;)

Absolutely, if serviced properly and given a good clean oil supply the G-Lader is no more problematic than any other oil-fed moving part! The lump is strong too. The most engine related problem I had was a boost hose popping off the WMIC but I popped it back on and went on my way. They're no more or less reliable than any other car which is likely to have done over 100K miles. I sold my G60 with 119,000m on the clock and it had good compression and pulled like a train. Gearbox gave up though at 118,000m but JMR found me a replacement for £195 so no biggie.

mines a conversion, and since i got it running properly, its been fine.

First thing i did though was get a health check on the charger at g-werks.

Its been the most unreliable car ive owned :(

But all my other cars were superbly reliable!

Neil.

Yeah I am thinking of buying a more expensive house and parking may be a nightmare so was thinking of selling my A4 and buying a Corrado as have always wanted one and will be cheaper.

Thanks very much though guys for the info and if anyone else has anymore then keep it coming!

Had ups and downs with mine. Spent the 1st 6 months fixing everything that the previous owner had let spill. After that, not too many problems, rear brake calliper, exhaust needing attention every 6 months (down to the make of exhaust), wheels bearings, door handles breaking, all the usual stuff for a 15 year old car really.

Would definately recommend a trip the G-Werks to give it a once over after you get it, and get the charger serviced.

Its been the most unreliable car ive owned :(

But all my other cars were superbly reliable!

Neil.

i forgot to say my previous cars had been:

1971 bond bug

1986 mk2 astra 1.2 merit

1989 mr2 mk1

so not really surprising the G60 has been the most reliable car i have had :lol:

most of them are 15 years old, so alot of stuff is on its way out. if they havent already, expect door handles, sunroofs, spoiler and various other parts to fail.

i dont want to shatter your illusion that the corrado is the best car in th world, it isnt! i would have a look in the forums and check out what other people are experiencing. it would be a bit different going form a newer Audi to a corrado.

great fun to drive, can be a pain in the backside to own!!

Can't complain with mine. It certainly had more niggles when I got it than my 7 years older Mk2 Storm Rocco, but with time, money and a bit of swearing I got it pretty much to where it's supposed to be in terms of reliability.

is essentially the 1.8 golf GTI engine with a supercharger bolted on!

A bit more than that, as the crankshaft has been upgraded to cope with the higher torques, the valves are sodium filled (like with the 16V KR) for cooling, the head and cam have been strengthened to cope with the extra boost.

Tempest

The Aqua Blue I had until last November did 50,000 miles in the 18 months I had it - apart from regualr oil / filter changes all it needed in 18 months was rear wheel bearings, pads all round and a set of tyres - no problems whatsoever but I did make sure the oil temps was at least 80% before going over 3000rpm and I always drove slowly for the last few minutes of a journey to allow the oil to cool a little

Ive had mine bout 7 months now and if it wasnt for the previous owner it would have been reliable. I think or hope :oops: its finally going o be back on the road soon, if you get a well looked after one you should be ok.

Ive had mine nearly two years now and it's never missed a beat, i had the charger done at g-werks the first month i had it and have been in love with it ever since, top car.

My car has been totally reliable as far as the engine goes, it always starts whatever the weather, and I always feel that it will look after me however far I have to drive home, and I do some pretty stupid journeys.

It does need stuff like the suspension and brakes looking after - if I knew anything at all about how to fix my own car I'm sure this would be a far cheaper issue!

The main thing though is that you say you've always fancied one - go and drive one, and see how you feel. I knew within about 30 seconds that it was the car for me, and I absolutely love it - I commute about 400 miles a week in mine at the mo, and even now at 6 o' clock in the bloody morning with pelting rain and darkness I just start it up and think "this is going to be cool."

Not a very technical or logical argument, but these cars just grab you and I've never regretted buying mine.

Oh yeah, and when it's parked or at the petrol station, I always give a quick backward glance and think how lovely it is - sad but true! And mine isn't even lowered or anything.

it really is worth taking a test drive in one that has been well looked after though, the first one i looked at buying felt like a death trap and im sure the charger had been bypassed it was that slow, it almost put me off, but when i test drove the second one, i was hooked after about 10 seconds especially as when i pulled out of the fourcourt of the garage i nearly went through the wall over the road :lol: as i wasnt expecting it to pull that hard as the previous one i had driven was so sluggish.

Yeah would quite like to have a better look at one to see what its like.

Will be so different from my A4. I dont mind that though as will probably be more fun.

Anyone in the Edinburgh area with a G60?

well i've changed my mind @ this moment in time i fuckin hate my g60!!

lets see how much more i hate it after i've been to the garage 2morro i got a bad feelin its not gonna be good news

Yeah would quite like to have a better look at one to see what its like.

Will be so different from my A4. I dont mind that though as will probably be more fun.

Anyone in the Edinburgh area with a G60?

I'm just up the road mate and through in edinburgh every so often, if you don't find anyone closer you can take a look at mine?!

Yeah that would be superb mate!!

You have done a few mods to so would be nice to see those to.

I am pretty busy till Feb as I have exams at uni coming up soon and a friend back on leave from Afghanistan staying with me. That ok with you?