Sign in to follow this  
yeti

Yeti's back in a VAG Daily

Well i thought i should post some pics of wat to remove to fit the mk2 syncro floor... this is how the car looks atm, although i will be going up there tomorow night to clean off all the old stich welds and the remnants of old panels.

no1 - cut a bloody big hole in the middle then slowly remove spot welds front and rear to take out most of the wheel well panel

DSC00965.jpg

no2 drill the spot welds out down the side of the arch and floor to remove the top of the chassis leg cover panel and remove with hammer and chisel v carefully and we cut excess off as we got a bit more done so it came out in pieces

DSC00978.jpg

no 3 do the same on the other side... looks like cheese but have been careful to only go through the sacrificial panels with the spot weld drill on 95% of welds :gag: ... takes soooo long

DSC00980.jpg

Your then left with this

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

with a lot more careful cutting/sanding/drilling/chiseling you get to this stage - note the state of the wheel arch - previous owners fitted autochangers straight through the wheel arch so it rusted out and best of all they drilled and self tapped straight through the fuel filler neck - lucky i'm still here!

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

Wow :eek: that's awesomely tidy work. hats off to you, you certainly don't hang around! i'm watching this with great interest, its so cool. 8)

Nice work chap!

You have more patience than me, I opted to leave the box sections as is and seam weld. Your way should be neater.

Was the previous owner any one on here? what a numpty! :cuckoo:

Good to see you ingnored the "Plama cutter" idea... would have resulted in a "Shell wanted" add! :lol:

I must come up and see this sometime soon matey see what sort of mess you made of a good Rado! ;)

:shock: Well i have no idea whatsoever whats happening in the pics but I can only add that i'm totally impressed with the shear determination and willingness to just get on and do it!

Hope all goes as you planned it to! very impressive stuff. :notworthy: :salute:

Wow :eek: that's awesomely tidy work. hats off to you, you certainly don't hang around! i'm watching this with great interest, its so cool. 8)

thanks, we've been v carefull to leave the original flanges as intact as possible for maximum stength with the new floor. All this is possible cos although i'm not too bad with a grinder and chisel... ed's a pro fabricator/welder so we can happily swap when i've made a mess! :lol:

My aim is to build the chassis how vw would have, so when its seam sealed and undersealed you wont be able to tell its had a new rear floor 8) ... i know the cage looks a little ott but i think we've all seen the pics of C's when they roll and both me and ed are 6'5" so our heads'll be pretty near the roof and this'll be a fun car so i think it's a wise move! - plus paul wanted rid of the cage at a very attractive price :D

Nice work chap!

You have more patience than me, I opted to leave the box sections as is and seam weld. Your way should be neater.

Was the previous owner any one on here? what a numpty! :cuckoo:

Cheers Sukh, the hours count has gone through the roof now tbh - there's probably at least another 10-15 in the rear floor getting it cut out like that, but i'm now a single man so i've had a lot more free time to do it :lol:

O and i dont think the previous owner was on here no, but i still have his address and i plan to send him a build thread photo pack showing him what his pride and joy has become :nuts:

I was wondering if you had any free time this weekend from midday friday onwards as ed and i would really like to talk to you about a few things on the car and the logistics of wrestling the rear floor pan in as we cant fit it it atm! - the units only 10-15mins from your house :wink:

Cheers Sukh, the hours count has gone through the roof now tbh - there's probably at least another 10-15 in the rear floor getting it cut out like that, but i'm now a single man so i've had a lot more free time to do it :lol:

O and i dont think the previous owner was on here no, but i still have his address and i plan to send him a build thread photo pack showing him what his pride and joy has become :nuts:

I was wondering if you had any free time this weekend from midday friday onwards as ed and i would really like to talk to you about a few things on the car and the logistics of wrestling the rear floor pan in as we cant fit it it atm! - the units only 10-15mins from your house :wink:

Sorry to hear about your couple status....working on cars is a lonely world!

Looking at these pics is certainly bringing back memory's! Drilling spot weld on the syncro floor nearly sent me potty too LOL

No probs with giving pointers, I am around all day tomorrow, but away Saturday and Sunday. The floor is a real pain in the ass to fit, are you taking it completely apart e.g. side panels, cross member etc?

i've not taken the syncro floor apart completely, just enough to replace all the panels removed, the chassis leg extension panels, side 'wings' behind the wheel arch and rear box section has been kept with the x member and everything on the underside kept in place.

I was hoping it could be fitted like this but it looks like i may have to remove one if not both of the rear corner panels to squeeze along the vehicle - seems to be easier lifting it into the ccabin area and then sliding it towards the back!

I'll give you a text later to work out what time i'll plan to be at the unit and i could pop in to yours on the way home (seeing as i'm passing :D ) if you want to come and have a look i could give you a lift down there?

i've not taken the syncro floor apart completely, just enough to replace all the panels removed, the chassis leg extension panels, side 'wings' behind the wheel arch and rear box section has been kept with the x member and everything on the underside kept in place.

I was hoping it could be fitted like this but it looks like i may have to remove one if not both of the rear corner panels to squeeze along the vehicle - seems to be easier lifting it into the ccabin area and then sliding it towards the back!

I'll give you a text later to work out what time i'll plan to be at the unit and i could pop in to yours on the way home (seeing as i'm passing :D ) if you want to come and have a look i could give you a lift down there?

You will defo have to cut off a corner , the biggest headache is the rear edge as it takes a lot of trial fits to get right and then needs a lip putting onto it.

Would be really interested to take a look, I'm OK for getting down there...may have to bring one of the kids tho LOL.

Tiny update, need more pics but

Floor is back from the bloke ywho blasted it, £60 - bargain!

Havent got any pics of the full extent of the underseal removal but i'm sure you get the idea with the flames!

This is it when i got it back and i covered it in weld through primer

floor_blasted_primed_2.jpg

floor_blasted_primed_1.jpg

floor_blasted_primed_4.jpg

o and if you are doing this, it wont go into the car unless you cut the sides off behind where the wheel arches are and very carefully remove this panel - it needs to go back on again.

floor_blasted_primed_3.jpg

Also worth noting that the floor needs the rear corner bits narrowed by 20mm a side, i think if i remember right a rallye is 1380 across and the corrado is 1340 so remove 10mm a side and create a new weld flange by folding the next 10mm upwards (thanks for the info on that sukh!)

o and i havent got any pics of the floor in atm but heres the last pic that was taken of the car with the chassis legs trimmed of its top flanges

floor_dressed.jpg

Will get pics of the floor in and the beam assembled this weekend - it was all tacked up at the start of the week and ed is taking it to a mates farm workshop to use their 3 phase mig as its a better set to use than my clarke 135 amp one! :)

Defo worth getting blasted....looks spotless!

Good progress mate....look forward to seeing the floor in there 8) Once its in there things will get alot easier LOL

Some serious progress dude, loving the balls out approach your taking.

Will have to swing by some time and have another nosey if thats kool?

Boys your more than welcome to pop up - hope i wont be in an arse mood this time :lol:

Wont be for a lil while as i'm away this weekend and busy for a few but fingers crossed i'll stop spending time on the passat and golf and put my time into this!

o cant remember if i mentioned above but the rear beam is now fully welded and is away being blasted... i know i need to post pics but i'm a bit lax at taking them sometimes!

Hi Yeti, will be keeping an eye on this build as Im doing the same. I'm going audi 3.2 with o2m gearbox and will end up awd. How are you going about getting the exhaust sorted to mate up with the 24v and clear the gearbox?

Dude, hows this all going?

If you say its on for E38 i'm gunna be flabbergasted.

He's in France(I think ATM) having a well earned rest from 50+hr weeks!!!!

ED it will..... but what year??? :ignore:

He's in France(I think ATM) having a well earned rest from 50+hr weeks!!!!

ED it will..... but what year??? :ignore:

Hiya Stuey, i was in spain, then i came back full of enthusiasm again and now the floor is in and finished (ish) big massive thank you to ed on this one as we've both been hammering drilling and cleaning the floors for what seems like forever ready for installation but his fab and welding skills have made it look almost easy to weld in! lol

will get some pics up but if you imagine a factory version of the corrado with a higher rallye rear floor your not far off (i''ve removed the tank strap mounts as it will be having a fuel cell either in the spare wheel well or where the rear seats used to live)

I'm off to france tomorrow for a week but ed says he's gonna play with some underseal so i'll take some pics when i get back... then its over to me to refit and wire :gag:

After a long time away from playuing with the C and being on here i thought i'd say ello!

I've been playing around with this the past 9 months, been great fun but i've agreed a deal with the local Audi dealer on a new shape A3 2.0Tfsi S-line this weekend so i'll be coming back to the vag fold and will be a bit more motivated to finish the C project

old car out 2006 56 plate uk 350 gt 300bhp, bought on 28k sold with 42k

DSC01262-1.jpg

new car 2006 56 plate A3 2.0 T fsi S-line 200 bhp dsg box,

a3.jpg

i know thhis wont remain standard for long!

What was the Z like mate?

an animal, the facelifted 300bhp model v v v good car, lively in the wet or snow but i little impractical with only a modest sized boot. It hit the limiter at 156 and could match a 997 c2 or c4 through miltonkeynes roundabouts without question. i used to average 25mpg with alot of fast b-road and motorway driving combined with town/milton keynes roundabout dodging which in the end started to hurt the wallet doing 700+miles aweek in it.

Its as well built as the audi without a dout a massive step up for Nissan, the inside had all the toys, bose 6 cd system, heated leather cruise control etcand i think as a weekend car its perfect.

slammed on some Satin black Wide 5's? :norty:

Get my text at the weekend? :( :cry:

yep jon, got your text, thats good that its going to a new home as jr is ultimately more important

I've seen you a few mornings between the A43 & Banbury in your Nissan, nice looking motor Yeti. I'll have to look out for you in your new motor now