Sign in to follow this  
JT

can anyone help !!!

i'm off to view a vr6 later (it looks lovely)it's got full dealer service history and done 111000 miles should the head gasket, timing chain or any other major work been done if as it states full dealer history..... if anyone can help it would be great...... :D

Hi,

Listen out for timing chain noise(rattle) and look at the service receipts for if it has been changed.

Head gaskets arnt something that has to be done really unlees they obviously go. Again look in the bills for if it has been done- i had a VR6 Golf that went at 77k! but that was probably due to my "enthusiastic driving" :twisted: Just look for the usual signs - i.e sludge crap on the oil filler cap and misfire, over heating, loss of power etc.

The VR6 motor are reasonably strong along as they havent been messed around with but make sure it hasnt been thrashed- speak to the prev owner on the V5 doc if you can. They are very tapety though so dont worry about that unless it sounds like a cement mixer with nails in it! :shock:

How much is it? as you want to get it preety cheap at that sought of mileage+ see if they will give you a warranty and look to see what it covers.

You want the suspensin to have been already changed as well if it's done 111k as this will be on it's last legs so check for this again in the history.

The Gearbox's again are usually ok again - synchro goes on second quite quickly on these car but dont worry if it crunches a little on the first couple of chanes into second when its cold

Check all the electrics work. such as mirrors, windows and spoiler + roof.

Hope this helps.

hi,

its a private sale and he wants 4500 but i was thinking 4000 with cash cos the mot is up in january its had spax alround all the electrics are workin the sunroof has been repaired and he is the second owner. it's got full heated leather rear axle bushes just done front wishbones just done new pads front and rear sounds like a winner to me... :D

cheers and thanks for your help........... lets hope it is good it's taking longer than hoped to find one. :lol:

When the engine is cold and hot, stick your ear around the right hand rear side of the head and listen for a grinding/rattling noise. If there is a very loud noise that fits that description, your tensioners are probably in need of replacement.

The good news on those and the Head gasket is VW have uprated both. The tensioners are now solid plastic and not plastic lined metal strips as before, and the HG is now stainless steel.

The stainless gaskets are literally bomb proof. I used a 2.016V SS gasket on my 1.8 16V Turbo engine.

Kev

i'm off to view a vr6 later (it looks lovely)it's got full dealer service history and done 111000 miles should the head gasket, timing chain or any other major work been done if as it states full dealer history..... if anyone can help it would be great...... :D

head gaskets go at various mileages and are not really a service item as such.....same with the timing chain(ie there isn't a set interval for changing either of them).........if its got full VW history all it means is that its been "ramped and stamped" every year/10k miles........so regular oil and filter changes and other items that have service intervals etc

well i went and had a look it all seems prietty tidy it has actually done 118000 but it is all stamped up, hpi cleared, has had new discs pads alround new bushes on the rear new front wishbones, he did mention that it could do with two new ball joints, the body work on it is good only one or two chips on the bonnet (no bad thing) my only concern is that the mot is up in jan and he wants 4500 for it i reckon 4000 cash without the mot done or 4500 with and the ball joints done what do you guys think........

oh and it sounds lovelly with the zorst and induction kit bloody lovely...... :roll:

Get the MOT done... Then everyone knows where they stand. £39 for a basic safety check can't be argued with.

i'm going to have another look on sat cos he has had the mot done and bushes replaced so fingers crossed take her for a drive and see what she's like :D