Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Fancy new speed camers in Cornwall

A new type of speed camera is being used in Cornwall to make motorists pay heed to reduced speed limits through a major road resurfacing project.

The Highways Agency will start work on the £2.75m scheme on the A30 between Loggans Moor and Hayle at the weekend.

There will be lane restrictions in both directions, with a 40mph (64km/h) limit enforced by new average speed cameras.

They measure the average speed of a vehicle through the whole stretch of roadworks and not at a single point.

The work includes renewing safety barriers and installing new drainage channels, which will affect both carriageways of the A30 at Hayle.

Plate recognition

It is the first time this type of speed equipment has been used in Cornwall.

Highways Agency spokesman Peter Heron said the cameras should encourage motorists to drive sensibly.

"There are two sets of cameras - one at each end of the site and they have number plate recognition.

"They recognise a vehicle as it passes through the first camera, then check the time it takes to pass the second camera to work out the average speed.

"If that is above the speed limit it will be passed to the police for enforcement."

Great! :x

Damn shame, they have to try and spoil those great cornish roads, you'll catch up with the rest of the coutry soon then and have trafic light cameras and all. :(

its not all the way is it? ? ? ? dam eletroincs , its only time before this crap is put on your car :(

Damn shame, they have to try and spoil those great cornish roads, you'll catch up with the rest of the coutry soon then and have trafic light cameras and all. :(

Yep, it's bound to happen! :cry:

Luckily it'll only be in operation while the roadworks are on! Lets hope they don't take too long!

( Veedub - Where's 'Loggans Moor' ? )

its the stretch between mckdonalds and the st ives roundabout.

right on my front doorstep............ :mad:

LOL, and 30 miles further into Cornshire from my house :D

I'll be down that way tomorrow though so i'll keep an eye out

( Tim, i'm up at RKE tomorrow, if I get out of there early enough I was thinking of popping down to Salt if you're around. )

Ah if there just there for the road works speed restrictions then thats not a biggie, im sure you cornish folks probally avoid the road works anyway.

They've just got them to protect the roadworkers.

Walesy, ^^ As tim said, a particularly nice stretch to 'give it fook!' aswell!

Not that I condone speeding, Officer.

AHH GUTTED!!, well not that gutted seeing im car-less at the mo.

Think im gonna be in the market for another rado in a few weeks, no G60 this time tho...how is my beasty TIM?

wicked new yrs by the way, sorry my missus was a drunken mess. trust me u didnt see the worst of it.

check u guys laters...

lookin 4 a nice 16v about the 1500 mark if anyone knows of one, ( off to check the 4sale now.

laters.

These have been put in fairly recently around here, in use all the time rather than just for roadworks. I believe that they're on the A140 (Ipswich - Norwich) and luckily I never really need to drive it.

IMO these types of speed cameras are more dangerous beacuse you tend to spend most of the time staring at your speedo, making sure you don't creep over the limit, rather than paying attention to what's happening on the road infront.

IMO these types of speed cameras are more dangerous beacuse you tend to spend most of the time staring at your speedo, making sure you don't creep over the limit, rather than paying attention to what's happening on the road infront.

Yeah, that's exaclty why I like the driving around here , because I never look at my speedo and can keep all my attention on the roads

It's a bit like in France, where they can do you for speeding on the Toll Roads if you go through them too quickly because they can time how long it's taken you to travel a certain distance

Thats a bloody good point, Im sure they will realise that the the cameras do more harm than good when we all start going up the @rse of each other!

Fecking Big Brother is even watching over us now!! :p

We've got them in Devon now aswell, on the M5 roadworks at Exeter. Like others have said, you spend more time keeping an eye on your speedo than looking out for potential hazards. Not that I ever speed through roadworks but it can't be safe for everyone to be constantly making sure they're not creeping over 40.

ahh well, might have to remove a few for fun one evening. maybe use then to time the girlfriend form living room to fridge, ....or even bedroom to kitchen>

We have these oop north on the A628. They are really effective at keeping speeds down for obvious reasons. However, they take your average speed so i'm thinkin maybe you could really crawl for the first half of the distance, or even stop for a short break, then you'd be free to nail it for the rest of the distance. Average speed = distance/time taken and all that...it won't get you through any quicker but you could have more fun!

Of course this is all theoretical...

i have to go up the a628 at least twice a day i wish they would rip em down. think its the nottingham lads that have got it bad though there everywhere round the city.

LOL, and 30 miles further into Cornshire from my house :D

I'll be down that way tomorrow though so i'll keep an eye out

( Tim, i'm up at RKE tomorrow, if I get out of there early enough I was thinking of popping down to Salt if you're around. )

Sorry fella. Leaving about 5am to drive up to edinburgh.

Keep all fingers and toes crossed that she will get us there.

Oh and give our cabby a pat for me. Shes back in for tlc again. :cry:

Sorry fella. Leaving about 5am to drive up to edinburgh.

Keep all fingers and toes crossed that she will get us there.

Oh and give our cabby a pat for me. Shes back in for tlc again. :cry:

Good luck fella, thats a trek and a half!!

Whats wrong the cab mate?

Giong to see the family and the weather is going to awful.

The head gasket has gone..........

Went like a dream for about 40 miles then its blowing between 2 and 3.....

Bugger.

Ya got to love cars eh.......

The head gasket has gone..........

Went like a dream for about 40 miles then its blowing between 2 and 3.....

Bugger.

Ya got to love cars eh.......

Bah thats a shitter mate!! Hope she gets well soon!!

jezza is giong to give her lots of tlc.

Head off, new gasket. Change the seals and do any other work needed to see her through a good few more miles. And a kr kam :lol: