Sign in to follow this  
soupie69uk

Uprated ARB's

There's only one - at the front, and it'll be 18-20mm, can't remember exactly.

The rear has a bar welded inside the axle U section but it's cr@p. Most car manufacturers tune their cars for understeer (hence only a front ARB) believing it's easier to deal with than oversteer. You can add an ARB to the rear and 25mm works well.

22mm front is a sensible sized upgrade and Eibachs are good, as are H&R and Neuspeed, take your pick!

Personally I'd leave the stock front ARB alone and just fit a 25mm rear. It will be much less understeery then.

I've been thinking about this...

Would it be worth fitting a rear ARB in conjunction with a rear strut brace?

The only downside to uprating the ARBs is a reduction in ride quality on bumpy roads isn't it?

Would a rear ARB lead to more oversteer occurances?

Cheers.

I've been thinking about this...

Would it be worth fitting a rear ARB in conjunction with a rear strut brace?

The only downside to uprating the ARBs is a reduction in ride quality on bumpy roads isn't it?

Would a rear ARB lead to more oversteer occurances?

Cheers.

From my experience they can also make a car more likely to suddenly break away in the wet or when really pushed as you get less of the progressive 'lean' and compliance in the suspension, but I've always liked the improvement in steering response on any cars I've uprated the rear bar on.

Have just had my H&R front & rear ARB's fitted by G-Werks (top job by the way) and am loving the ride now.....roundabouts are so much more fun!!!! to be fair hav'nt really tried them in anger in the wet yet so can't comment on the 'break away' point etc

ive bought a set for my G60 corrado (H+R ones) but havent fitted them yet, ive also got a set still in the back seat for the Vr6 golf waiting to be fitted. was told by Darren at G-werks these were a really good mod.

Where can you buy just a rear ARB and how much are they, thus far i've only noticed kits (front and rear). Is it much work to fit them? do you leave the original one in place?

cheers

£182 delivered from Awesome-GTI for the Neuspeed rear, I had a look at others but they were the cheapest and sold the rear on its own. Dead easy to fit, just bolts on iirc, didn't take my mechanic long at all.

The general consensus from when I was looking into it was to just get the rear 25mm, iirc the 28mm makes the rear slide out too easily.

Is the effect more pronounced on the VR then? I ony noticed a minor improvement when my 25mm rear ARB was fitted :?

just feels a lot 'tighter' & more together mate, i'm still in the errrmm 'testing' phase as mine have only been on for a few weeks and now the snows put paid to that for a few days at least!

Cool thanks for the info mate.

Guess not that many people have done this mod?

I've tried a few ARB combinations on mine and I've settled on an Eibach 25mm rear and standard 20mm front.

The front bar tends to upset the ride quality more than the rear one, which again is another reason to leave the front one in place.

You do hear of tales of the back stepping out with thick rear bars, but in my experience it's only the strung out, poorly maintained cars (usually sporting shat tyres aswell) that lose it mid corner.....or if the driver is fool enough to let off the gas mid corner. Don't worry about that, it's not an issue.

Yep, works well in combo with a good rear brace. Fit a front brace too to balance it all out and you should get a rigid, nicely poised car as a reward for your efforts ;-)

Cool thanks for the info mate.

Guess not that many people have done this mod?

I've tried a few ARB combinations on mine and I've settled on an Eibach 25mm rear and standard 20mm front.

The front bar tends to upset the ride quality more than the rear one, which again is another reason to leave the front one in place.

You do hear of tales of the back stepping out with thick rear bars, but in my experience it's only the strung out, poorly maintained cars (usually sporting shat tyres aswell) that lose it mid corner.....or if the driver is fool enough to let off the gas mid corner. Don't worry about that, it's not an issue.

Yep, works well in combo with a good rear brace. Fit a front brace too to balance it all out and you should get a rigid, nicely poised car as a reward for your efforts ;-)

What braces do you have Kev? When you say they make the car more rigid, do you think this is to the detriment of the cars ride comfort at all?

I love the way my car handles, but if it could be better I'm up for finding out.

I can't (and won't) lower it at all because of some of the places I go with the car, and am actually thinking about getting new standard springs shocks, and bushes right round, because I'm sure 180,000 miles and 15 years have taken thier toll on the suspension set up.

I realise the car is never going to be super quick either, but I'm of the opinion that if it handles well enough I don't need the extra horse power to have fun.

I was looking at the group buy on the braces, and noticed how cheap they were, so that kinda got me thinking. Only thing that puts me off is drilling the towers.

Is your trimsport one bolted in? was it much work to fit? just drop the rear struts, drill and bolt on I suppose?

Tolerance issues with the group buy ones, or with the trimsport beasts? Yours just clamps around the rear top mount doesn't it?

I suppose this would fit any corrado irrespective of model? if you're looking to sell it, let me know... I could be interested.

Though there have been some tolerance issues (with NickVR6)

Oh, he's not that bad. ;)