Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

R32

Hi Guys

I've Just accepted a new job offer closer to home, meaning the Leon TDi is no longer a must have...so I'm wondering.......

should i buy a clean R32 or wait for a few months and check out the The New Leon Cupra ??

Your thoughts please :twisted:

its got to be the R32 every time
yeah but the new leon is about 18k mark so they are saying...so ex demo. would be about the same money as an R32 by then

I take you are meaning new mk5 R32 then as you can pick up mk4 R32's for a lot less than £18k ! Much prefer the mk4 R32, but then it's not my money ! But I would certainly have an R32 (either mk4 or mk5) over the Leon Cupra, better handling, chassis, build quality as mentioned above etc and look nicer too I reckon.

R32 reasons as above, I'm also thinking on getting another when we change the Passat later this year

I'd say it's a bit of a no-brainer, allthough I can't say that i've been in a Leon Cupra.

I would have thought a few year old R32 will hold it's value better than a brand new Leon?

Although the new Leon Cupra R is MK5 GTI based, it's no MK5 GTI to drive.....apparently.

MK5 R32 DSG for me. The most complete performance car VW have built to date imo......but the grim wheels and front grille would have to go.

MK4 R32 in black a close second choice....

Not really sure about the Mk5 but the GSD gearbox is a want at some point in my VAG driving life. The new Cupra isnt even out yet but will come with GSD im sure, and comes with a very responsive engine, but no one but the press will get a look in on drives yet. might ride it out, as when the cupra comes out there may be a few more r32's around, plus i can drive one for myself.

5th Gear have already driven it and didn't rate it as a driver's car.....well, not as much as the previous generation at least.

Engine is a derivative of the MK5 GTI, but has a slightly bigger turbo and remap to make 237hp.....it's a setup unique to SEAT apparently.

DSG is awesome :-)

I'd say get a manual R32, my mate has a mk5 gti company car with DSG and reckons the DSG is a load of sh1t that spoils the car, interferes way too much apparantly. Might be better in the R32 though?

5th Gear have already driven it and didn't rate it as a driver's car.....well, not as much as the previous generation at least.

Very similar review on top gear aswell. I cant remember the details, but they recommended the mk4, may be worth checking out the website.

here is the 5th gear summary

Model Tested: Seat Leon Cupra

We like:

1) Loads of power.

2) Great gearbox.

3) Superb seats.

We're not mad on:

1) Less involving than some rivals.

2) Doesn't look all that hot-hatchey.

3) Power troubles the chassis.

Specs:

Price: £19,595

Engine: 1984cc 4cyls inline, 16v, turbo petrol,

Power: 237bhp at 5700-6300rpm

Torque: 221lb.ft at 2200rpm

Performance: 0-62mph 6.4sec, top speed 153mph

Combined economy: 34.0mpg

CO2 emissions: 199g/km

the 3 good point are what a hot hatch should be...but point 1 on the bad points is a useless statement, and 3 & 3 are the issues.