Sign in to follow this  
bugie

heater probs

have just bought my first c,a 1.8 16v h reg as winter will soon be upon us i was hoping that someone could help me out. there is no heat comming from any vent, the fan is working.not being very mechanicaly brill is there anywhere i could take this to be looked at.

ps thanks to all from last post a great help

bugie :x-mas:

If your motor has had the heater matrix recall done. It could be the valves under the bonnet.

Loads of the late 80s early 90s VW had heater matrix problems. VW recalled them and fitted some bypass valves under the bonnet to prevent the matrix bursting and leaking.

I had the valves on my 2 litre 16V Passat fail( the wifes car). She bitched for ages, I just ignored it cos my car was ok and I never drove hers.

As a temporary measure you could remove the valves and replace them with straight pieces of pipe. If that fixes the snag and you get heat again. You need some new valves, Dub dealers often have them on the shelf.

It could be a monster airlock in the matrix but my first guess would be the valves.

Cheers

Gavin

My C had been standing a while and was cold for a few days, all of a sudden she started working as normal, so assume there may have been a previous blockage ? when ive got the matrix out i'll let you know!

GO for the bloackage 1st mine did this i was told could be heater valve and matric but check for blockages 1st and it was the blockage if further help is need drop me a PM

Yes the cable has come off .... can some kind person out there tell me how to fix this miner prob...thanx bugie

Does anyone no if VW will still carry out the recall work? as myn still runs the old setup pipes.. :?

Check the basics, make sure there previous owner has not bypassed the heater altogether. Two rubber pipes going into the cabin from the engine bay.

D

They still do the recall - had my old '84 golf done about 18months ago - but if the matrix is already leaking they replace that too - the new matrix has the valves built in so your one may actualy have been done!

took my c to a mate , he is a mechanic. 2 hours later and a lot of f**kin around and hey presto heat, all it has cost me is for him to update his laptop on my broadband, lucky or what.

thank peeps bugie

So do they still do the racall does anyone have a definative answer? Was thinking of calling VW today with my chassis number to see if it has / hasn't been done or if its actually qualifies or not

Well head office said yes they do it, but when I went to the garage they said it finished last year.

Its a bit confusing.

Dec

Just called VW the guy told me that my vehicle is not applicable to the recall. This might help others who want to find out more

How do I contact the Recall Campaign Help-desk?

The telephone number for the help desk is 01908 601243.