Sign in to follow this  
jonrb

Replacement ariel options

[i've used the search, but still have questions, hence the new thread.]

My aerial is totally shagged. The base is cracked, the seal has gone, the rubber on the aerial is cracked and the amplifier evidently doesn't work as radio reception is pretty dire.

The car is up with Vince at the moment and he's told me the part is £90 which seems a lot of money.

So my questions are

a) is the OEM part worth the money and

b) if not, are there any decent alternatives that look fairly OEM and perform well?

Thanks in advance

Jon

(If a friendly mod could correct the smelling pisstake spelling mistake in the thread title then I'd be most grateful :))

The base from a mk2 golf should fit...cant just remember if they are amplified or not though?

Ebay etc would be the best bet as they are a fairly widely used base.

As for the aerial its self,i like the richbrook ones in black...smart 8)

richbrook%20antitheft%20aerial.jpg

Sabre style...

Richbrook%20antitheft%20aerial%20sabre.JPG

Neil.

I need a new aerial as my reception is terrible, i only need a tree within a few hundred yards of the car and its gone :lol:

What amplifiers can you get?

£71.44 inc vat. and less if you can swing a cheeky club discount. Part number 871 035 503.

If you can put up with the same aeiral, the reception can be improved upon by bypassing the amp.

The amp is in the base of the unit covered in foam, and it sucks up water, corrodes and worsens the signal. The way to fix it is by ripping out the amp and soldering a link to the base of the aerial.

20 min fix and keeps things original.

There is a how too on here

Hmmm.

The car is up with Vince at Stealth at the moment. If I weigh up the cost of my time (especially at what I charge clients per hour) to go down to order it, collect it and post it up to Vince compared to just dropping him a line and saying "do it" then maybe I should just get him to go ahead and supply & fit.

Edit: ZippyVR6 - your avatar makes my head hurt. :)

i was thinking about one of these - clicky - might get away with it with a black corrado but possibly naff on other colours - or am i kiding myself and it'll be naff on mine as well