Sign in to follow this  
poll250

HELP!

IM in the same boat mate

my car was hit 3 months ago buy a lorry the rear wheel arch and side of bumper was damaged but repairable without changing the arch. said the repair would be £2300 with new bumper and arch

the guy who came to estemate the repair for norwich union value my car at £1800 and a total loss

got a letter today saying KEEP THE CAR AND TAKE £1440..............

MINE A 1994 VR6 FULL LEATHER AIRCON THE WORKS

I SENT THEM AUTOTRADER ADDS BUT THEY AINT HAVING IT?

Id take 1600 and not have the car a write off coz i no i can get it fixed for alot less

but im not willing to have my car as a write off for 1440

what more should i do?

To be honest I think the only way to go is keep arguing, threaten them with the insurance ombudsman and/or sueing them to put your car back to its pre-crash condition.

At the moment I'm waiting to get the inspectors report through the post, so I can have a read of his reasons for valuing it so low, esp as they said on the phone that he'd found similar cars advertised for between 2500 and 3900? Doesnt really make much sense why mine should be so much cheaper than all the ones the INSPECTOR himself found! Then again I only had it two days so didnt know it well enough to know any horrible faults lurking I guess?

Ive also got a receipt for the car (having bought it two days previous) so ill try using that as a base or something.

just argue like mad i had a 306 i wrote off, they offered me £3800 (4 years ago) and i had just paid £5250 for..... i just kept on and on at them till they agreed £5250 minus my excess.... just stand your ground and dont accept what you are not happy with... explain to them that you have just paid x for it and you want y back, do you have a receipt from when you bought it? they will try every trick in the book to shaft you, but at the end of the day YOU are the customer..... good luck

Just as an aside, Cat C seems a bit harsh? I've seen worse things than that on a D...... If it hasn't well and truly cocked the boot floor, I'd ask for justification, Insurance co's constantly make mistakes with clarification and registering.

I would just start haggling with them, send them a copy of your receipt. Then tell them to look at the autotrader adverts. You have the right to refuse, at the end of the day an unfinished claim will become a pain to them, as will you giving them some well info'd agro.

It is possible, I bought a G60 2 years ago, within 72 hrs of owning a women hit the back of mine. (It seems a trait this!). I bought mine for 2k, I claimed car was worth 3.5k and naughtly I doctored the written receipt to say this and sent them the copy. In the end they paid me 3k plus valued car at 300 quid which I kept to break myself.

Whatever you do don't worry about the value of your Corrado, it is worth lots in parts and if you have room to break it you could make some money on the whole thing to make the pain all worthwhile.

hi, sorry to hear about your bad luck, I work in insurance,not in the claims, buti know how useless they can be.

you just need to keep arguing your case it's the only way things are ever sorted. if you are on the phone to them every other day they will eventually get the point that you are not backing down, threaten to go to the ombudsman. Or even better go to them. The fact you only bought the car 48 hrs before should reinforce what the car is worth.

Don't back down

Good luck

it seems me and poll250 and having the same problem though my accedent happend 3 months ago and they have only made there first offer today

i sent them 3 adds for like for like corrado's ( vr6 L reg ect)

and they point blank turned it down claiming mine is worth £1800 so retain salvage at £1440

to me its more about having the car not a write off as the repair is £2400 main dealers id take less and fixed it myself but with no write off on its name!!!!!!

Today is a very good day for getting prices of vw corrado's vr6 L reg's off the AUTOTRADER the cheapest is £3400 going up to £5600 ive just printed out a s++t load!!!!!

due to this delay ive lost money on the road tax , insurance, res permit, mot and i will mention this to them...

also going to ave to get new road tax and insurance at end of month and my car will still b in no mans land!!!!!!!!!

its been so long im driving a crappy clio lol and its got to the point where i dont care nomore il take it all the way to much time has gone to worry about another couple of months..........

ALSO Y DONT GLASSES CAR GUIDES VALUE CARS OLDER THEN 96?

THATS WHERE NORWICH UNION ARE MENT TO GET THERE PRICES FROM???

Woah, three months is a bit of a long time isnt it! good luck with it man, seems alot of people are in the same boat at the moment. Hope it all turns out ok for you. Give em hell!

i think the reason it took 3 months is due to the guy who hit me not reporting it so the company must pay if there is no report by then!!

its a long and crappy thing and while all this is going on my car is collecting rust due to some bits having the paint removed!!

also the cheek of the inspection guy, he said my car is not not legal coz the bumper is slightly sticking out and the wheel arch has a slight sharp bit!! so fare enough i said il get a hire car from them? he said NO cos i can move the bumber back into place so i did thsts fine with me...

then and heres the bit that annoyed me he said get a hammer and hit the wheel arch back in so it doesnt stick out??

and that seems to be there reason for no hire car??

yeah like im gonna start hitting my arch the other way when it would make it near impossible to panel beat into place after that!

ALSO Y DONT GLASSES CAR GUIDES VALUE CARS OLDER THEN 96?

THATS WHERE NORWICH UNION ARE MENT TO GET THERE PRICES FROM???

CAPS'll value it, but I don't think you'd like the price...

I got back from work today and the inspection report had arrived along with a letter saying my cheque would follow shortly. It also said that I had to have the car moved within 7 days or I would be liable to storage costs.

I wrote an email to them saying about the ombudsman and taking them to court to fix it. was i right in saying that until i was happy to settle they would have to pay for both the storage costs and the cost of my hire car?

It actually felt really good writing that email lol, im a bit rubbish on the phone to be honest! Thanks for all your help guys, fingers crossed this gets the ball rolling a bit.

B******* to that mate, you have not entered into any sort of contract with them therefore you DO NOT have to accept any settlement offer they have made. You are NOT liable for any costs as you have not entered into an agreement to keep the car / accept any offer as yet. Have patience and stick to your guns, get the file together of things like I suggested, mention court / the ombudsman etc.

If you have fully-comp. insurance, then usually as part of it you get free courtesy / hire car. But the car is usually provided to you on a CREDIT-HIRE basis, i.e. you are liable for the cost of the rental if it cannot be proved that you were not at fault for the accident. If this can be proved, then the third-parties insurers have to pay for the hire.

Good luck mate and HTH.

Just settled with the insurance company, got a pretty ok figure and keep the car.

dunno whether to fix it cheap, sell it to someone whos got room to fix it themselvces or try and break it! ooh decisions!

just really wanted to say thanks to everyone for their support!

Andy